• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Supercharging my 4.0 ohv.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
nesralyrreg:

I forgot to comment on the blower calcs.

I have a spreadsheet .
I emailed you about this spead sheet, would dig having it?

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Make it fast, Make it loud.
nesralyrreg:
I have a spreadsheet from when I was considering putting a blower on my 3.0. It suggests pulley of 4.25" for 8 psi on 4.0. and results in about 300 ft lb torque and 210 hp (assuming no other changes to engine); you'll want 24lb/hr injectors from a 4.0 SOHC.

Don't happens to have that sheet available? The math I was coming up with, at redline with the 2.7" pulley I was gonna make something Like 10-12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The mounting plate looks good! Nice job! I would like to see the bottom of the blower?

I think it is smart to have a couple, if not a few different pulley combinations available to be able to adjust boost. On your build, 8-9lbs is pushing it on high octane pump gas without an intercooler. The tune would need to be good to prevent predetonation. I would shoot for 5-6lbs and get it running and tuned well before you go to more boost.

I speak from the experience of popping a head gasket when I went to 9lbs of boost with a poor tune some 13 years ago.

One advantage of the larger blower is that it should make the boost you want with less work and heat.

Thanks! On the first page I believe I have a couple pictures of the bottom of the supercharger.

I'm hoping I can get away with a bit more boost, most calculations are done for vehicles at sea level and I'm way up here at 6100 feet. I will be happy around 6-7 psi definitely. I have 3 spare 4.0's and one is getting actually built to take the 15-20 psi. once I get everything working I may make a couple kits too sell with everything I've come upon so far.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm cleaning up the spreadsheet and adding intercooler.

What do you define as redline? :)
Given power peak of 4,200 rpm stock, I was using a 5k rpm redline.

Note: My spreadsheet was originally developed when I was looking at supercharging my 3.0 versus 5.0. And numbers very quick demonstrated a 4.0 SOHC or 5.0 was more cost effective/powerful solution.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I was using 5k as well, but I also did my math in my head haha so I could definitely be off

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Picked up another truck recently (I actually owned it years ago) and I'll be supercharging it with the old Paxton kit (picked up off Craigslist) still working on fuel delivery for the truck, I have something in mind, but with it being 1-2 degrees recently and my garage not heated, I think it's gonna have to wait, for now, here's some pictures of the trucks

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I like your Rangers! I live in Littleton and offer to help you tune if or when you go that way. An FMU will work, but unless you are able to pull more timing at low RPM, it will be lean at lower RPM, under load and boost. The stock fuel is too lean and timing to high at lower rpm. Good Luck! The Tweecer is better than other tuners for EECIV, more tuning variables are available.

I like the spreadsheet Don, appreciate it, but my numbers are different than it calculates. I am running a 3" pulley, the boost gauge shows 6 lbs of boost and I run around 5,500 feet in altitude. Altitude and the boost gauge accuracy are going to make a difference. I also found a red-line number of 16,000RPM on the M90. Engine Redline for the SOHC is 6,250...............My M90 is spinning around 13,000 at that RPM.

Last edited:

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I like your Rangers! I live in Littleton and offer to help you tune if or when you go that way. An FMU will work, but unless you are able to pull more timing at low RPM, it will be lean at lower RPM, under load and boost. The stock fuel is too lean and timing to high at lower rpm. Good Luck! The Tweecer is better than other tuners for EECIV, more tuning variables are available.

I like the spreadsheet Don, appreciate it, but my numbers are different than it calculates. I am running a 3" pulley, the boost gauge shows 6 lbs of boost and I run around 5,500 feet in altitude. Altitude and the boost gauge accuracy are going to make a difference. I also found a red-line number of 16,000RPM on the M90. Engine Redline for the SOHC is 6,250...............My M90 is spinning around 13,000 at that RPM.

Oh cool! I'll definitely need a tune. What product from tweecer fits my '91 computers?

From his spreadsheet my m112 currently will be putting out almost 24psi... a bit much for my stock bottom end 4.0 lol.

Last edited:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh cool! I'll definitely need a tune. What product from tweecer fits my '91 computers?

From his spreadsheet my m112 currently will be putting out almost 24psi... a bit much for my stock bottom end 4.0 lol.

Pulleyboys.com sells pulleys of all sizes

This includes instructions to look your computer up to see if Tweecer supports it: http://www.tweecer.com/ccode/

If it is supported it can be tuned. Then you have to decide what product you want, just a tune or do you want to tune? Scroll down the home page to see what is available.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I'll have too pull my catch code soon, I've never done a tune (usually a carbed boost guy) but I'll definitely need a hand, I'll hit some junkyards and go fast shops up, I can't justify $90 for a stock size pulley, ya know?

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have too pull my catch code soon, I've never done a tune (usually a carbed boost guy) but I'll definitely need a hand, I'll hit some junkyards and go fast shops up, I can't justify $90 for a stock size pulley, ya know?

Ya and tuning ain't cheap. I welded my 3 jaw puller to the stock pulley to get it off, destroyed the pulley.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Oh man... well mama didn't raise no quitter! I have lots of friends who tune also so they can probably help me out with that. I did some tuning on my turbo ranger but most of it was easy just pulled some timing and added fuel

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh man... well mama didn't raise no quitter! I have lots of friends who tune also so they can probably help me out with that. I did some tuning on my turbo ranger but most of it was easy just pulled some timing and added fuel
I am glad to help tune, a tuning device just isn't cheap, you may find a used unit on Corral.net . I have gotten performance parts and have seen used Tweecers there.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
That'll be cool, money isn't really an issue, just don't want to spend almost $100 on a pulley lol

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It is the same in tuning electronically.
Can you get a timing device to pull timing based on RPM and Load? I ask cause the stock timing is way to aggressive at lower RPM under load and boost and likely only needs to be cut a little at higher RPM.

Fuel, You have a matched maf and injectors?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals