• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Summit Racing in-house brand paint

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Anybody ever heard of this stuff or used it? I can get their single stage in a blue metallic with clear and 2k primer along with 3 qts. of activator and 3 qts. of reducer all for $277.50 shipped to my house. That price looks quite appealing if you ask me. I was also wondering how much paint would do the whole outside of the bed along with the whole cab, jambs, and core support. I would really like to have enough paint materials as I would not want to wait a few days if I run out. One other question too, what's the difference between epoxy primer and urethane primer? Apparently their epoxy primer can be used as a sealer too.

Edit: This stuff mixes 4:1:1, so that should make 6 qts. sprayable of the primer, paint, and clear. That seem like enough?

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Usually a gallon will cover the entire truck, depending on how many coats you go with. I personally don't have any experience with this paint, but I have heard good reviews about it. Epoxy primer is a little more durable, but usually needs to be used with epoxy paint IIRC. I'd do some research or even talk to the tech staff at summit. They are pretty knowledgeable about the products they sell and won't hesitate to give you the advice you need, whether you buy the more expensive or not. They value customer service, not a higher dollar sale...
SVT

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. I'll go do some more research on the paint. But as of right now, I am hovering between the Summit Racing line, Kirker, and TCP Global Restoration Shop. I've looked at all of those and they all offer similar prices and similarly good reviews, anybody here have experience with either Kirker or TCP Global?

Edit: I was also wondering about Duplicolor's Paint Shop Finish System. I know it's lacquer, but it's cheap and I can go to the local parts store and pick some up if I run out. Anybody try this stuff or seen it in person? I've read mixed reviews, so I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about this stuff. Excuse me for my noobish questions, I'm new to auto body repair and refinishing.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I'd stay away from laquer, it's somewhat difficult to shoot if you don't have experience with a gun. It also is temp sensitive, meaning it will shrink if it's not cured before taking it out...
SVT

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
I'd stay away from laquer, it's somewhat difficult to shoot if you don't have experience with a gun. It also is temp sensitive, meaning it will shrink if it's not cured before taking it out...
SVT
Like as in if you spray in a warm paint booth then move it out into the slightly colder shop before it's completely dry? Doesn't lacquer take forever to dry anyhow?

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
I just use local job shops paint systems.
Keep in mind most counter people !don't paint cars!
Any mail order savings can be more than made up the first time you need any one supply.

I remember lacquer as being easier to shoot and fell out of favor years ago. Personally I like catalyzed much better, nothing wrong with single stage stuff but primers are so much better not waiting for.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Like as in if you spray in a warm paint booth then move it out into the slightly colder shop before it's completely dry? Doesn't lacquer take forever to dry anyhow?
Thats correct. Some paints take longer than others, again, it depends on how it's mixed and sprayed. "Baking" is usually the process that is done in today's world to speed up dry time as well as keep the paint from absoring the moisture from temp changes...
I just use local job shops paint systems.
Keep in mind most counter people !don't paint cars!
Any mail order savings can be more than made up the first time you need any one supply.

I remember lacquer as being easier to shoot and fell out of favor years ago. Personally I like catalyzed much better, nothing wrong with single stage stuff but primers are so much better not waiting for.
I agree, having a shop do it could be easier as well as less of a hassle, but not much of a learning experience. If you have never painted something, get a spare fender or hood and practice first. Lacquer has gone away with the times, but not cause of quality. Just takes more steps and finesse :icon_thumby:
SVT

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I used their Single stage paint and it sucks ass. It looks great but it doesnt hold up, scratches easy, and bubbles when it rains for a week or more.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
I used their Single stage paint and it sucks ass. It looks great but it doesnt hold up, scratches easy, and bubbles when it rains for a week or more.
The Summit stuff? I was going to use the clear coat on top of the single stage paint.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals