• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Summary thoughts

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Hey everybody. I just wanted to share my thoughts about this weekend. Pictures are slowly coming in on the other threads. But there's more than just photos.

This weekend was awesome. But it wasn't the weather or the camping or the wheeling that had the most influence on making it an awesome event. It was the people. We have a really great group of people here. All the teamwork and camaraderie that we see in this forum was demonstrated face to face at Southington. People sharing what they had, cooperating, helping each other on the trails and in the camping area, sharing stories and connecting is what this group is all about. I know there are others who wanted to be there and would have been participating in the same ways. We have a great group here at TRS.

Y'all are my friends. You have been since I joined a few years ago. These friendships were solidified through our face to face interaction s this weekend. We couldn't ask for a better group of forum members. I'm proud to be among you.

Special thanks to AgPete for riding with me, spotting for me and even helping out with my camera by taking pictures when I was preoccupied with driving and trying to keep us unhurt. Jim, JohnnyO and Micah ( forgot Micah's username) also helped me a lot with spotting and problem solving when I got stuck on top of some hard places. I must publicly acknowledge Micah's help when he used his er, umm, "Jeep" to pull me off the rocks that were threatening my driveshaft.

I learn a lot from you folks here on the forum. I also learned a lot from you on the trails this weekend. This was an invaluable learning experience for me.

(Edit)
Also, many thanks to Jim for coordinating this event and hosting our website. He is a great man for the job.

Thanks again, to all of you.

By the way. Jim is threatening to change my username in the near future. So watch out for that. I'll wear the new name with honor if he does it.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
hell yeah! awesome to meet you guys. 85's truck was even better then i envisioned......petroleum's truck is absolutely kewl beyond description.

your truck to me is the best of this platform....short bed reg cab. i have seen many stock suspension-no lift with cut fenders and 35's...4.0 with 5 speed with rear welded diffs kick some serious arse.

really wish i would have been there friday.....and i had remembered to put the trac bar on. i regret that because i would have let you guys drive my rig if the bar was on it. its too hard to not get wadded up without it. if we had a bit more time i wanted to rig swap for a bit....maybe next time.

i will hit you up whenever i get to head out and ride the Hatfield McCoy stuff in wv....

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I know I haven't been around here much the last several years. Life and Sport Tracs kinda got in the way. Great to see old friends and original gangsters Jim, Ryan, Will, Bobby, and Caleb, and meet new people and friends. Weather was perfect, campground nice, trails had a little bit for everyone (except my kinda streety Sport Trac with nearly bald tires, no skid plates, and a blown carrier bearing, so I rode with Jim). Speaking of, the new 2019 Ranger FX4 was damned impressive off road. Could use some more ground clearance but when the approach and breakover angles were doable it was as good as the Heep Rubicons that were all over the place since there was a big Heep event there too. Kudos to Jim for organizing the whole thing, I know it's not easy.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Between a hundred or more Jeeps, our group, and all the individuals that showed up at SOR, that place was hopping this weekend. Friday evening was filled with the music from the Jeep crowd well into the night, and Saturday brought the siren song of engines wailing at a 24 hour race at the nearby Nelson Ledges racetrack. Quite a weekend! I hope we can do another one next year.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Great seeing everyone. Lot of fun seeing everyone, wasn't expecting to see TRS 2 running either.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hell yeah! awesome to meet you guys. 85's truck was even better then i envisioned......
If not for Jim, this site, TRS1 and people like you my truck would have probably been crushed 10+ years ago... not flying across four states at flank speed.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Needed name tags. Most of us changed our board names to our real names 15 years ago partly so we would know who each other were when we had rides. It was great to see people enthusiastic about trucks and maybe I'm a little more motivated to start dragging pieces together.

I think we should do this again. We used to do these 3x a year--Spring, Fall and Winter. If Jim can't make it from down there where roadkill changes from raccoons to armadillos, we could have a cardboard cutout of him and do selfies next to it.

After riding with Ryan, my expectations of what a truck should be able to do are all screwed up. Instead of building a truck I might ride a mule at the next run. Then we can barbecue it after.
mule.jpg

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I think we should do this again. We used to do these 3x a year--Spring, Fall and Winter. If Jim can't make it from down there where roadkill changes from raccoons to armadillos, we could have a cardboard cutout of him and do selfies next to it.
Well, there was that one time in the winter when we almost died from exposure and frostbite. Anyone who wasn't there would think I'm kidding, but I'm not. Jim the off-road writer put down his camera and journalist hat and was helping winch people out. Good thing his previous job was training the participants for the Camel Trophy excursions. Again, you might think I'm kidding but I'm not. Jim was extraordinarily kind to us in the magazine article. :censored:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And Jim Allen liked the 6.2, Bobby. Just saying.

That was a cluster-phawk, no question. Honestly, we had too many people show up. I think there were almost 30 trucks. Whoever led all of those trucks down into the creek bed, I don't remember. But I know a few trucks had some problems that slowed them down--Sambo had to change his starter laying in the freezing water, for instance. And then the cold came in hard and froze everything. It was tough, and a good thing Jim didn't have a cheap winch because that damn thing ran for hours pulling those basterds out.

Holy crap! That was 2004!

https://www.therangerstation.com/articles/a-snowballs-chance-in-wellsville/

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The other thing that just popped into my head was the trouble I had with my tow vehicle. I had a '90 Chevy 2500 with a 6.2 diesel and Banks turbo. But the fuel heater wasn't working, which I didn't know until that night. After I got the B2 back onto the trailer after this event, I couldn't get the truck to run. It was below zero and the fuel was wax. I finally got it to run, but onlyif it was making power, which mean I went from Calcutta to the Lisbon Inn wide open without letting off the gas. I rode the brakes hard and kept the gas to the floor when I needed to slow down. The next morning I left Ohio at 100mph to keep the engine warm enough so the fuel would stay liquid. I threw away the factory filter/heater and ran a Racor for the next 12 years after that.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Somehow I made a wrong turn, or a right turn depending on your point of view, and didn't end up in the creek bed later. As I recall we went through it earlier before it was frozen. At that time I would typically lead the "No Body Damage Group" of generally newer trucks and hit some hills and mud and such but stay away from trees and rocks. We opted to bag it when the ground started freezing and we were having problems getting traction. I ended up waiting at the entrance with a few others for several hours. We could hear over the CB that they were in trouble but by then it was dark and we had no idea where they were and figured if we went back out we'd just make it worse.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Definitely had a good time. I’ll admit, I was bummed that with the problems I ran into getting the choptop serviceable meant that I didn’t make it out until Saturday, then to have the group hit the trails while I was getting checked in, then insult to injury deciding to try a hill climb and snapping my front axle shaft within 5 minutes of being in the park, I thought my weekend was over and wasted. But it only got better from there and I discovered that the choptop goes surprisingly well in 2wd. Hopefully next time I can be better prepared, the choptop got ignored for a few years because of having hip surgery and other problems and it became a last minute rush to make it all work. That’s going to have to change because I want to see more trail rides again.

An awesome group of people though, was nice to get to see Jim, Will, Ryan, Johnny O and others again plus meet some new people

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Definitely had a good time. I’ll admit, I was bummed that with the problems I ran into getting the choptop serviceable meant that I didn’t make it out until Saturday, then to have the group hit the trails while I was getting checked in, then insult to injury deciding to try a hill climb and snapping my front axle shaft within 5 minutes of being in the park, I thought my weekend was over and wasted. But it only got better from there and I discovered that the choptop goes surprisingly well in 2wd. Hopefully next time I can be better prepared, the choptop got ignored for a few years because of having hip surgery and other problems and it became a last minute rush to make it all work. That’s going to have to change because I want to see more trail rides again.

An awesome group of people though, was nice to get to see Jim, Will, Ryan, Johnny O and others again plus meet some new people
I caught you walking by on camera as we were getting ready to head out, I didn't know who you were yet though.

Thanks for the keys again!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You’re welcome, I ended up making PetroleumJunkie a set too, which reminds me that I need to order more blanks

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I missed the memo that you were on site until hours after you arrived.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals