• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sudden extreme drop in oil pressure

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I was leaving o'reilly's earlier and noticed my oil pressure was almost none so I immediately pulled back into the parking lot and shut it off. It was fine while I was driving before I went to o'reilly's. It still sounded like it ran how it normally does in the short time I had it running with almost no oil pressure and still started fine. No noises before this happened or nothing really. I noticed the past 2ish days I've heard a pretty infrequent pinging sound (imagine the sound when a pebble hits the floor of your car). No idea if that has anything to do with this, but I figured I'd mention it. When I finally got it towed home, I saw its dumping a good bit of trans fluid onto my garage floor, but almost no oil leaking at all (I've had a very small valve cover gasket leak for months). I checked the oil level 3 days ago and it was good, checked it again after getting home to double check, sure enough its still at a good level. I don't know how old the oil in it is, but when I got the truck 8 months ago, it looked like brand new oil and still looks pretty good. I've only driven 1.5k-ish miles due to a project, so haven't changed it yet (planned on changing it very soon). I doubt it would be the oil in it though due to the drop being so sudden. The oil gauge is barely above off when it was running, so its not like the gauge was on complete 0.

Basically, I'm just asking if anyone has suggestions. I think it could be the oil pump that failed just because of how quick it happened. Doubt its ever been replaced in the 36 years it's been on the truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Most likely just the oil pressure sender on the engine, it grounds the gauge on the dash

If you lost oil pressure you would have instantly heard the lifters all "tick, tick, ticking" its loud you can't miss it

The noise you describe seems like pinging/knocking, usually occurs when accelerating if octane is lower or you have a slight Lean condition

You have a 1986 Ranger but what engine 2.3l or 2.9l?

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Absolutely agree with Ron D. Likely a sending unit. Pull sending unit out plumb in manual gauge and check. If you want you can unplug the coil wire to distributor to prevent starting just so we know the truck won’t run with low-no oil pressure. If you have pressure with a manual gauge then a trip back to that O’Rieleys and a new sender it is.

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Most likely just the oil pressure sender on the engine, it grounds the gauge on the dash

If you lost oil pressure you would have instantly heard the lifters all "tick, tick, ticking" its loud you can't miss it

The noise you describe seems like pinging/knocking, usually occurs when accelerating if octane is lower or you have a slight Lean condition

You have a 1986 Ranger but what engine 2.3l or 2.9l?
Turns out it was the oil pressure sender. Popped a new one in and its right back to normal thankfully. To answer your question before, it's a 2.9

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals