• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stutter mises after instaling Timing Belt

RedRyder97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 3;73 rear end 22mpg
Transmission
Manual
Hi all ,
My 2.3 5 speed shredded :nono: a timing belt and I installed a new one in. Runs pretty darn good at speed. But what I am leaving the light or stop sign I get a hesitation miss kinds stuttering also in between shifts as rpm drops to idle. I did track down the spark plug wires .....found one I for got to put on a spark plug. But I cant seem to get rid of it. Runs great at speeds and good gas mileage. And it starts just fine and idles great. But loss of power or stutter right at first pedal. Let me know what you think.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I think when I see someone put up an answer I'm going to fix the identical situation with mine. Changed it a couple months ago, and runs just plain sloppy. Not terrible, not gutless, may have lost a couple mpg's but nothing real big.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Make sure your not half a tooth or some thing in your timing.
Its possible. 2.3's are very finicky when it comes to timing. As well when it comes to plugs and wires. I only use FOMCO plugs and wires now from the dealer. Little pricey due to 8 wires 8 plugs though. They last longer and the truck runs great with them. Tried after markets and they all sucked for me. Always either left me with a stumble or a slight miss on idle.

tcranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 and a 1986
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo and a n/a
Transmission
Manual
would almost guarantee your probably a tooth retarded with your timing belt. one tooth off you can still drive it, two or three teeth and its dam near impossible.

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all ,
My 2.3 5 speed shredded :nono: a timing belt and I installed a new one in. Runs pretty darn good at speed. But what I am leaving the light or stop sign I get a hesitation miss kinds stuttering also in between shifts as rpm drops to idle. I did track down the spark plug wires .....found one I for got to put on a spark plug. But I cant seem to get rid of it. Runs great at speeds and good gas mileage. And it starts just fine and idles great. But loss of power or stutter right at first pedal. Let me know what you think.
I think when I see someone put up an answer I'm going to fix the identical situation with mine. Changed it a couple months ago, and runs just plain sloppy. Not terrible, not gutless, may have lost a couple mpg's but nothing real big.
I so know where both of you are coming from. I had the same truck, 97 2.3 and shredded the timing belt at about 1150000. Never knew I needed to change it ( that was before I knew about TRS and only 20,000 miles after I bought it).
I have since driven the truck past 208,000 with the exact same symptoms you describe without ever being able to fix it. I moved the belt 1 tooth either way, have done tune-ups, run premium gas, and still nothing has changed the outcome. I finally ended up just living with it. Frankly it is just annoying more than problematic; just don't try to engage the clutch at idle and you will be fine.:annoyed:

RedRyder97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 3;73 rear end 22mpg
Transmission
Manual
Timing Targets. <> <>

Hmm I got my targets lines up .....I took pics.:icon_confused: Well at least their in my Photo Album here for you to look at.I have not figures out how to load them here. But Ill get it sooner or later. Ill check my plug wires. But Im thinking it would run bad at any RPM if they were bad. Just my thinking.

These are my timing lines. If I remember correctly the double triangle is the correct line up the other is for manufacturing form Ford.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals