• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stupid vibration

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Ranger developed a vibration at 20+ mph. It is bad in 2wd, horrible in 4hi, and even worse in 4lo. Tires are brand new and balanced. Alignment is new and dead on. Everything is tight. Im wondering if the torsion lift keys and torsion lift is making the front axles bind. Thoughts?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Vibrtions are usually u-joints. They usually rust and freeze up and then eventually fall apart. I would block the tires so the truck will not roll, and then take and put the trans in neutral. Then crawl under there and twist and pull on the drivehafts while looking for play. Look for red rust traces also, a sign it's locked up and getting ready to go.

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
thanx, frank. i will start there...

One thing i didnt mention: the vibration is more noticeable when turning.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
start with the CV joints on the half shafts, and the front driveshaft.

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's in the shop now and being fixed correctly. The half shafts were binding up bc the t bars were cranked (not maxed out).I have Rough country lifts on three other trucks of mine, but they specifically say 17" wheels are required. I just dropped money on new 285-75-16s. I'm hoping my 2" spacers will put enough distance between the wheel and knuckle. The SuperLift is almost twice the expense, but will be cheaper than going with new wheels n tires. The third option is to drop the t bar crank down, remove the rear drop shackles, and replace the front fenders with pre-runner aftermarkets.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Have you read the article in the link below? The front suspension with a-arms are called "short arm, long arm" suspensions. As you go around a corner, the suspension kicks out the bottom of the outside tire to help go around corners. Problem is, you raise or lower the suspension, the tires kick out permanently giving you awful tire wear. So you need an alignment each time you change the ride height. Sometimes if you go too far, the shop will not be able get it back in alignment.

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good article, frank. Thank you. Im just gunna be happy to have it finally done. Fortunately, i only put about 20 miles on the new tires, six of which were at about 30 mph.

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To add: I have read that article in the past. Additionally, i did not sdjust the t bars, i omly installed the aftermarket keys. The alignment shop twisted the t bars.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Did you go play in the mud with the new tires? You might have a clump on the inside of the rim.

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ha! Nope, swan. I havent done anything other than drive around my neighborhood and on a few main roads.

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
It's in the shop now and being fixed correctly. The half shafts were binding up bc the t bars were cranked (not maxed out).I have Rough country lifts on three other trucks of mine, but they specifically say 17" wheels are required. I just dropped money on new 285-75-16s. I'm hoping my 2" spacers will put enough distance between the wheel and knuckle. The SuperLift is almost twice the expense, but will be cheaper than going with new wheels n tires. The third option is to drop the t bar crank down, remove the rear drop shackles, and replace the front fenders with pre-runner aftermarkets.
im looking to use this lift. did the 16s fit or dit it need the spacers?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Will you bring it back from Germany? :)
I was about 16 in 1971, working at a Billups gas station in Mississippi. This 56/57 Chevy pulled in and said fill it. I grabbed the gas handle and began looking for the spout, noticed it had Hawaii tags. After a bit the guy came around and flipped the left fin on a tail light open and there it was.
He said he'd been stationed in Hawaii and they shipped it home for him

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The lift allowed the oe wheels (16” five spoke) to be used w no issues. My front rotors (i have a rear disc conversion) cleared the upgraded (12”?) rotors too. The shop that installed everything would not install the spacers. I installed the spacers after a 500 mi shakedown n retorque. Def looks better w spacers to enhance the 285-75-16 tires:)

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
The lift allowed the oe wheels (16” five spoke) to be used w no issues. My front rotors (i have a rear disc conversion) cleared the upgraded (12”?) rotors too. The shop that installed everything would not install the spacers. I installed the spacers after a 500 mi shakedown n retorque. Def looks better w spacers to enhance the 285-75-16 tires:)
So to confirm, you have a rough country 5 inch lift and ran 16inch wheels? I'm getting conflicting info from so many people that I started a thread asking this question lol. I just really don't want to buy new wheels.

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
Will you bring it back from Germany? :)
I was about 16 in 1971, working at a Billups gas station in Mississippi. This 56/57 Chevy pulled in and said fill it. I grabbed the gas handle and began looking for the spout, noticed it had Hawaii tags. After a bit the guy came around and flipped the left fin on a tail light open and there it was.
He said he'd been stationed in Hawaii and they shipped it home for him
I will not be shipping it back. I'm a reservist now and I live full time in Germany.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals