• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck in 4wd or 4wd not working at all??

Tiger07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So my 5R55E automatic transmission went this summer and I had it rebuilt and put back in (i took it out and put it back in myself). Shifts a little rough into the first two gears but everything else is good EXCEPT I cant tell if my truck is in 4wd or not. I know the electrical components are working because when i turn the switch from 2wd to 4wd High, it makes the indicator click sound and the light comes on and everything. The thing I'm worried about is when im driving and switch to 4wd it doesnt seem to feel any different. I really want to fix this before winter comes because im not looking forward to having to drive more carefully on the slippery roads or not driving the highway at all in fear haha. Is there any way i can tell if it's stuck in 4wd or just not going into it at all or what? Any help is greatly appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
While this is generally not advised, it is the quickest, dirtiest test I know to check 4x4 operation.

Go to an empty parking lot. Drive slowly in a tight circle. Stop and shift into 4wd. Continue in the circle. If it shifted, you should know pretty quick.

Even on the electronic 4x4 units the light runs off a switch in the case that is physically activated by the engagement of the forward output. So if the light is working as commanded, odds are very good that the system is working.

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I 2nd that.

Also these motors are known to go at random. Mine went on me in a snow storm...at least I was in 4wheel drive when it decided to go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals