• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck at 30psi

kmorgan23

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Manual
Do you have some new, cool ones I haven't heard yet? šŸ˜„

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You must be missing something simple.

When you said rebuild the engine... is it all fresh?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you pinch off the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator , does the fuel pressur go to 80psi or so?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
What plugs did you screw in it? Proper gap?

Have you pulled them to read them? I would think if it was a low fuel pressure issue... the plugs would look near white.

kmorgan23

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Manual
What plugs did you screw in it? Proper gap?

Have you pulled them to read them? I would think if it was a low fuel pressure issue... the plugs would look near white.
I'm out and about for the evening. I'll give that all a test tomorrow, gaps should be accurate but I'll double check. But yes, everything is fresh, new cam too. Basically the block, wiring, and belt components are original. Most everything else has been replaced. This was given to me for nothing, and I don't have a car payment, that's why I've had no issue just replacing everything. It was in gnarly shape and been a fun rebuild... And now I'm frustrated haha

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I would think none of the engine, ignition stuff would influence the fuel pressure - should that not be a relatively simple issue, of (1) fuel in tank (2) pumps moving it to the fuel rail via (3) the pressure regulator?
Given pressure regulator and pumps are likely to be good, the other suspects then become the tank and the lines/filter. Could there be obstruction in the lines and/or filter?
I suppose the other possibility would be a leak somewhere 'downstream', meaning after the regulator, in the fuel rail or one or more leaking injectors. But injectors were checked/swapped, so maybe somehwere in the fuel rail a leak?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well thatā€™s a tough one, although Iā€™ve seen pumps and regulators fail it sounds like youā€™ve tried to cover that possibility. The one that irritated me the most was I put a new high pressure tank pump in momā€™s Explorer. Delphi I believe it was. Couple weeks later it was running like poo again. Canā€™t possibly be the pump but Iā€™ll check pressure and sure enough it was low. Replaced the pump again, went with a different brand because I needed it NOW and sure as can be, the new Delphi pump was junk. Oh, and BTW, the pumps are NOT fun to change in the 02 Explorers.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Since it doesn't hold pressure after shutdown, we can temporarily ignore any non-fuel problem and focus on fixing this one.

Fuel pressure has to be bleeding off somewhere (seems obvious, but stating it mostly as I step through it in my head). So the question is how to narrow that down. The obvious culprits would be an external leak (which ought to be pretty obvious with a good visual search), the fuel pressure regulator, and the check valves in the fuel pumps.

If you pressurize the fuel system with key on and then immediately disconnect the return line from the FPR, do you continue to see fuel leaking from the FPR?
Is there a spot in the fuel system where the lines could be clamped after each pump? From memory it's almost entirely hard lines, but if there's anywhere that you -can- clamp, that ought to eliminate fuel coming back through the supply side. If the act of clamping stops the pressure bleedoff, then that would seem to indicate a bad check valve on the upstream pump.

kmorgan23

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Manual
Since it doesn't hold pressure after shutdown, we can temporarily ignore any non-fuel problem and focus on fixing this one.

Fuel pressure has to be bleeding off somewhere (seems obvious, but stating it mostly as I step through it in my head). So the question is how to narrow that down. The obvious culprits would be an external leak (which ought to be pretty obvious with a good visual search), the fuel pressure regulator, and the check valves in the fuel pumps.

If you pressurize the fuel system with key on and then immediately disconnect the return line from the FPR, do you continue to see fuel leaking from the FPR?
Is there a spot in the fuel system where the lines could be clamped after each pump? From memory it's almost entirely hard lines, but if there's anywhere that you -can- clamp, that ought to eliminate fuel coming back through the supply side. If the act of clamping stops the pressure bleedoff, then that would seem to indicate a bad check valve on the upstream pump.
So I think the depressurized system was a fluke or one off.. I replaced ALL the lines with nylon 5/16" yesterday. Before doing that, I bled the system again, and lo and behold there was pressure. I replaced the pump with another brand pump I had, same with the regulator, and there was no change. Haven't had a chance to check the plugs yet, and I'm going to recheck timing too. I think it's safe to eliminate the fuel system since I confirmed neither pumps nor regulator, and all lines have been updated and replaced along with new motorcraft filter . Unless someone has other thoughts/suggestions!

kmorgan23

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Manual
I would think none of the engine, ignition stuff would influence the fuel pressure - should that not be a relatively simple issue, of (1) fuel in tank (2) pumps moving it to the fuel rail via (3) the pressure regulator?
Given pressure regulator and pumps are likely to be good, the other suspects then become the tank and the lines/filter. Could there be obstruction in the lines and/or filter?
I suppose the other possibility would be a leak somewhere 'downstream', meaning after the regulator, in the fuel rail or one or more leaking injectors. But injectors were checked/swapped, so maybe somehwere in the fuel rail a leak?
I replaced ALL lines yesterday with new 5/16" nylon while digging in there. Filter was replaced with new motorcraft too. No leaks and everything is appropriately tight.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked the voltage and ground at the HP pump?
Maybe run jumper wires to the HP pump from battery while running and check pressure?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Hmmm... voltage drop on the fuel pump circuit. Worth consideration... easy enough to check.

kmorgan23

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked the voltage and ground at the HP pump?
Maybe run jumper wires to the HP pump from battery while running and check pressure?
I'll give this a try today. Any chance you know correct voltage reading?

kmorgan23

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm... voltage drop on the fuel pump circuit. Worth consideration... easy enough to check.
Also.. fun, frustrating update. I'm in the process of moving 40 mi north of current location. Yesterday was the inaugural trip in the B2. Flooring it the whole way, could barely make 55-60mph on straight aways. A couple times as I would shift to neutral to coast, the engine would stall out. Was able to restart while coasting, but happened twice there and once heading home.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If the voltage and the grounds check out, it might be an amperage issue. Think of volts as ā€œpressureā€ to the line and amperage as the amount of ā€œflowā€. If the wires canā€™t provide the right amount of flow, the pump isnā€™t going to turn enough to provide enough fuel pressure.

The amp rating on the fuse would tell you how many amps should be at the pump.

A poor connection or a damaged wire can cause an amperage issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals