• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strongest Coil Spring

absentminded102

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 95 Ranger STX, 4.0L, 4x4, extended cab. I would like to know which coil springs to use to replace the worn sagging springs that are on it now. I have a 3 digit spring code on the door label so I'm not sure what springs are suppose to be on it, since they are typically 2 digit codes. I'd prefer the strongest stock coil springs because I'm planning on dropping a 5.0L engine in it in the near future, but I have no idea how to tell how strong the springs are. I have a Ford service manual for the Ranger, but it is little help.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Most people dont like their stock springs because they are too stiff. When upgrading their 4x4s they get softer springs for better flex, such as springs for a Jeep XJ.

If you dont care about that at all, just go get stock replacement springs, they should be stiff enough for the 5.0.

absentminded102

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Surray, I would love to use the stock springs, but the "Spring Code" on the door label has me confused. I have only seen 2 digit codes where the first digit if the code for the front springs and the second digit is the code for the rear spring. My spring code is 3 digits, BM X. I'm not really sure what springs to use...

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just go to a parts store, and say you need stock springs for a 95 Ranger with a 4.0l... They should be able to figure it out with a few clicks of their mouse.

Or just order some from www.rockauto.com; we have a coupon code around here somewhere for 5% off there...

absentminded102

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I'll see what I can figure out. Went to the dealership but they weren't sure whether to look for "B" or "M" springs. Thanks for your advice!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A 4x4 4.0L Supercab truck is likely to already have the stiffest springs made, due to it's weight. A 5.0 shouldn't be an issue for them (at the most you might need a couple large washers (shims) under the lower coil spring seats to boost the height back up a little).

absentminded102

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I figured I probably already had the stiffest spring available on it, but they are worn and sagging now, causing a bad camber wear on both front tires. I came to the forums for advice on stock replacement coils because I was unsure of what the stock springs were due to having a 3 digit spring code on the door label... Thanks for the advice though!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals