• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stripping paint from windshield trim

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
Do you know what that chemical is called?

I haven't had time to try anything yet. Oven cleaner might work - not sure - have used it on painted surfaces before as a degreaser and it didn't do much.
No, I don't know what the chemical is. I do know that there is a couple different types, I had a couple of the canes I designed stripped by two different shops. The first one left the metal a mess that required a lot of work to re-polish, the other left the metal in perfect condition. Sorry I can't tell you what the stripper is called.

Brianranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"+tire height
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
My credo
Treat people as I would like to be treated !
Has anyone tried stripping the black paint off of 1st/2nd gen windshield trim?

I had to visit five junkyards to find a set that wasn't trashed with hail dents. Problem is, some of it is chrome, some is black! I want all chrome. The black paint does seem to come off - I have some extra pieces that time and weather have halfway stripped, I am sure the factory just applied some sort of paint to the same parts, or left it chrome, depending on trim package.

Brake cleaner won't touch it, Alumabrite (phosphoric acid for cleaning aluminum wheels) did nothing. Also tried lacquer thinner, deglosser liquid, couple other things... no luck.

I would prefer to chemically strip these instead of sanding. I guess I will sand them as a last resort and then polish...would like to avoid that if possible. Any ideas? I'm not real sure what kind of metal I'm working with, it's probably stainless but could be aluminum maybe.

I have a bunch of extra junk pieces so plenty to experiment with! Shoot the ideas at me!
Did you try the obvious thought Paint stripper ?

Brianranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"+tire height
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
My credo
Treat people as I would like to be treated !
Didn't mean to sound like a smart ass but paint stripper should not hurt metal , pressure wash it off , just a thought, good luck

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Didn't mean to sound like a smart ass but paint stripper should not hurt metal , pressure wash it off , just a thought, good luck
It depends, some chemicals will react with some metals and etch, dissolve, discolor, or do some other undesireable side effects.

I bought some gel paint stripper today that I'm going to try along with the various other ideas hopefully this weekend. I tried to find aircraft stripper but apparently that is not available right now? Not sure what's up with that, used to see it all over.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'd definitely try the more gentle stuff first. Like the citrus based kind from Walmart.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Well y'all... I tried a few things. "2 Minute Strip" gel does not touch it. Lacquer thinner/brake cleaner/carb cleaner does nothing. Acetone seems to soften it a bit but it evaporates before it starts to work. Oven cleaner did nothing except discolor the metal in one spot where the paint was weathered off.

The only thing that actually worked was Rustoleum aircraft stripper. It softened the paint up to where it can be scraped off... multiple applications will be required for sure but at least it works and I only have one piece to do (the bottom.)

So now we know.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals