• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stretching 1st gen front fenders?????

kamshaft

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1st gen ranger that i dropped onto a 2000 chassis with ifs and the cobra brake setup but i had to use 1" wheel spacers to clear the center cap and im dropping the front but i need about an inch and a half in each side so the tire wont hit the fender when i hit a bump if any one has tips or knows a thread id like to see it ! :icon_confused:

GoMopar440

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could try rolling the fenders out a bit with a piece of pipe or a base ball bat. You can Google it, I've seen plenty of how-to's out there. I'm just not so sure how those squarish first gen wheel openings would look done that way. They mostly do that trick on rounded wheel openings.

What about using some bulged out fiberglass pre-runner fenders?

kamshaft

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i feel like they would be too high like still like it sits too high i can pull them out by hand and it looks sweet, thinking about just making a support brace that goes to the steel iner fender to hold them out

kamshaft

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is why

351splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd skin on some rear wheel well openings from a bronco II. Should be about perfect offset and would keep the correct body lines.

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
this is how i did it...

turned out pretty nice if i do say so myself:icon_thumby:

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That looks awesome Ty. Did you just cut out that part of the fender and reshape it, or did you use part of a different fender? And what's with your bedside?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Been a while since I read his thread on it but I know he cut the sectioned that part of the fender, added some material (possibly from another fender?), and welded it back up. He's doing all 4 wheel wells. IIRC that front one is all he's finished with so far, so it's a work in progress. Unfortunately I don't think it'll help the op much since he needs to pull them out a little rather than enlarge them like Ty84 did. Without removing the spacer all together I think the his only option will be making the braces he mentioned a few posts up.

Last edited:

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i made the patch pieces myself. i have a more indepth thread on it in the exterior section of this site if you want to see exactly how i did it, but i cut the bed sides like that temporarily, now i have the beginnings of a tube bed so i didnt end up streching the rear fenders.... and i fawked up the fender that i finished as soon as i took the thing wheeling lol

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
fawk all that shit just pull and support them with some braces.

you can go huge like i did and raise the mounts and bulge them way out.

you can do it nicely too when you use a filler panel at the door pillar. then bulge the rears and run wider wheels.

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
thats what i shoulda done really... i put too much work into mine, and then just screwed em up haha

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
with normal wheel openings on your lower truck you can fit some rubber under there

mine is very hacked and maxed, but i have seen this done with some mesh over the filler panel and thought it looked great...

hell i dont even have filler panels anymore cause i just dont care, but when i redo the body i will have them like the ones i seen...the body color or nice stainless mesh over the black filler panel looked real good. i had some on there for a bit but i am always smashing the fawk out of my fenders...i dont think you will have that fender smashing issue:D in your case its a cheap way to wide body....the next iteration of my truck will be different all around but have this still in a similar fashion. likely have tube fender flares.

pretty simple to do just range the mount where you want it.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That looks good Bobbywalter. Were you able to keep the inner fenders too? I will probably end up doing something similar on my 88, though less extreme. I could see where you could make it finished looking for a truck like the OP's also. I still like Ty's because it looks like it could have come from the factory that way. It does seem like a lot of work, though, especially if you bend it up often.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it never looked good... never meant to as it may as well have been on a demolition derby car....hell its been 5-6 years since its even had ttb. issue i was trying to deal with was certain police in certain areas/states were relentless about my tires out too far.

you should see it now:shok: :icon_rofl:

the bed is a custom flat now, but the fenders have held up amazingly well....been shredded and booger welded back together a few times but still there. for michigan its a miricle.

rolling the lip in the classic clearance fashion and building some basic brackitry to force the fender out and cutting the lower pillar side support and inner rail takes some time and patience but i seen it done and liked it in the lowrider scene and bigger in the prerunners so i went as far as i could. it will take some fitting of some extra material to keep the wheel well solid but thats easy....any desert forum will have all the classic ways to bulge the bed.

i bet the glass prerunner guys would make subtle wide body setups for the lowriders with tight wheel openings.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals