• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange starting problem?

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes when im starting up and the engine sputters but doesnt start and i go to turn the key again the starter works and i can hear it spinning and winding but its not engaging the motor, i turn the key back and go to start it again and the engine cranks like nothing happened, IDT this is hurting anything but i can't be sure just seems really strange. I'm guessing some sort of computer thing senses that the engine started ( when really it just sputtered for a second and died) and shuts the starters ability to engage to avoid grinding the teeth on the starter is this what it is or is this bad ?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, not a computer thing as far as the starter engaging.
The start motor has a Bendix drive mechanism.
A Bendix drive works based on speed, when starter motor starts to spin, the Bendix drive pushes the starter gear forward to engage the flywheel, when engine starts the flywheel speed exceeds starter motor speed and Bendix drive retracts the gear.
There are a few parts in the Bendix drive that can wear out and prevent starter from engaging all the time.
Reads like your Bendix drive is starting to wear out, I would shop around for replacement starter motor, this can last for years this way or stop engaging at all tomorrow.

If you have a carburetor then choke set up may need adjustment, or you may need to push gas pedal to the floor once before starting to engage the choke for cold start.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Remove the starter and clean the old gummed up grease off the bendix shaft.

Cold weather and old grease can make them do that.

Put Lubriplate or MolyB on the shaft (light coat).

I was a common practice with carburated Fords, back in the day.
Pump the gas pedal at least once to the floor for a cold start, just like Ron said.
Some cars needed a couple full pumps to spray a load of fuel in there.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys ill get some grease in there i don't have any of those types of grease is just some regular run of the mill green grease out of a grease tube ok? And yeah i know about all the tricks for a cold start, but my choke is tied open all the time since it doesn't work so starting in the mornings is kind of a bitch but she purs after about 8 minutes.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On the ford starters the true name for the 'bendix' is "over running clutch drive". They can be replaced pretty easily by a home mechanic. Take pics as you take it apart paying close attention to the nose cone in relation to the solinoid/bulge of the motor case, and the spacers/washers at the end of the nose cone. It's been a while, price was ~$15.00.
Good luck,

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals