• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

strange rattle.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
so today i got my slave cylinder fixed, and its shifting better and not leaking so overall its working a whole lot better. But the strange rattling is still there. I originally thought and heard from the mechanic that it could probably be the main bearing that was rattling, cause what i do know is that the rattling goes away when the clutch is engaged and in gear. If its not in gear and I press on the clutch pedal it does NOT stop rattling. Its really weird and now that i have a new main bearing/slave cylinder assembly there is still the mystery rattle. Any ideas of what this could be?

Quartermile

My car did that once, We put a speedy sleeve on for the clutch, and it wasnt on perfect and made a loose rattle sound

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hmmm. i'm not quite sure what that is but i wish it was just something loose on my pickup. While i'm idling it rattles, and when the a/c compressor kicks on the rpms go up slightly and the rattle seems to go away. So i'm wondering if it is like a rocker arm or something that just needs to be tightened up? is that right? i'm not sure but i thought it would be something with the clutch or slave cylinder but it wasn't.

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
it could be the cat. heat shield.
I had that problem with my last car, I thought I did some major damage to it when I first heard it. :icon_rofl:
just a guess though

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
heat shields seem to be fine. I have no idea what it could be cause it is kind of sporadic and it doesnt tick in any particular order just really sporadic. I suppose i'm just gonna hope it doesn't get any worse and live with it.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
you have gotten up under the truck to try and pin point it with a stethescope or screw driver?

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
no i haven't yet. I read a article online that suggested using a screwdriver so i'll go ahead and do it tomorrow. I have a hard time believeing that it is in the motor cause it doesn't do it when i'm driving around, only at idle. I've read around people have had rattles from the torque converter also but i really don't know what this could be, i'll try the screwdriver trick and let you guys know what i find.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Good news and bad news. Good news is i think i isolated my noise. Using a screwdriver as a stethescope i isolated the rattle to be coming from the transmission where it mates to the engine block. Talked to my mechanic and seems to think it may be the input shaft bearing is starting to go out. Makes me feel better that its not coming from the motor. Bad news is that literally on friday i had them change my slave cylinder which as you all know is located inside the tranny....well i wasn't smart enough to spend the extra 20 bucks or so to replace this bearing so when it does finally go out its going to be another ordeal of dropping the tranny and getting it changed, if it is in fact the input shaft bearing.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
just for the record, i thought maybe this could have been a torque converter problem, but me being the great mechanic i am my truck is a manual, and manuals do not have a torque converter. So i apologize for any of my really noobish questions on here....

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is two bearings, the throwout bearing and the pilot bearing, not all clutch kits come with the pilot bearing, though I believe they should, and not everyone changes the pilot bearing though I beleive they should. The other option I had a similar rattling in my mustang and found out the clutch pressure plate was contacting the fork, however different mine was all the time but got quieter when disengaging the clutch and going to neutral. It was difficult to spot but I did.

My thoughts are you didnt change the pilot bearing or maybe your PP is making contact.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hmmm maybe that is it. All i know is that the noise is coming from the tranny/clutch area and i just changed my slave without changing the bearings. Man i wish i could go back and spend a couple more bucks and get it all changed out. But nooooooo. So somewhere down the road i'm going to have to pay another 300+ to get this fixed unless it is something that isn't that hard to change out myself....not sure though.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
so to wrap this post up when i go to change out the problematic bearing in my tranny what other things should i take care of? My clutch is pretty new, when the slave was changed a year and a half ago it still had swirl marks on the flywheel from it being re-surfaced. I just changed the slave again with a motorcraft ford one so that is good. So i'm thinking pilot bearing and input shaft bearing, what else should i look into?

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
wow i think you helped me out with my truck cause mine has a rattling coming from right there. sweet.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well before you go buying parts I would inspect for these particular probelms I mentioned. I dont know if you can buy the bearings seperate without paying for an entire clutch kit. Ive never tried.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals