• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange Engine Noise

platinumdragon7

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
For about 2 weeks I have been having a strange noise coming from my engine. I thought it was the belt but, which the belt was making noise too, but I changed the belt and continued to hear noise. Shortly after changing the belt I felt the engine lurch while going 65mph. It did this for about 3 seconds and hasn't done it since, but I have been concerned with that and the noise maybe being an eventual problem. The noise starts as a slight ticking while idling but then turns into a chirping over 35mph. The noise doesn't happen every time I drive but it is becoming more consistent. I opened the hood and listened for a while. It seems to be coming from the back of the engine. I used a stethoscope and it doesn't seem to be coming from the heads... at least it didn't sound like it. So does anyone have an idea what this is?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You have given no info. about your truck. :dunno:

Sounds like your CPS is going bad to me, that is if you have an EDIS 3.0L.

I've heard about people using a stethoscope to isolate the noise to determine that was the problem.

If you do have an EDIS 3.0L, and have over 100K with the original CPS, there's a fairly good chance that this is the problem. If all of the stated conditions are true, the CPS should be replaced regardless (seach, and you will see). It's better being safe than sorry, especially considering the expense of a new engine. If you do find the noise to be coming from that area, replace ASAP or you risk the engine freezing as the CPS drives the oil pump.

Pete

platinumdragon7

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, I'm kind of a noob here.

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger XL 2WD Supercab with a 3.0L V6.

By CPS did you mean Crankshaft Position Sensor? If so, shouldn't I have a check engine light? Because right now there is no light lit.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, I'm kind of a noob here.

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger XL 2WD Supercab with a 3.0L V6.

By CPS did you mean Crankshaft Position Sensor? If so, shouldn't I have a check engine light? Because right now there is no light lit.
Yes. That's an EDIS 3.0L. Just to be safe, you might also check that the oil pan gasket is not working itself out on the front of the engine.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. A lot of times the engine just stops with no warning when the CPS fails.

I am not TELLING you that's what's wrong, I am suggesting that you take a closer look at this particular sensor because of the severity of it's failure and the similar symptoms to what other members have experienced with CPS failure. The sensor could be good, and the noise is just coming from somewhere else, obviously I couldn't know without even hearing/seeing/poking around.

Pete

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The part you need is the synchronizer, which the CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor) is mounted to. However, replace the sensor also.

platinumdragon7

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Are there any other symptoms I should look for or a positive way to test if this is my issue? Thank you both for the input thus far.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual

Here's a picture on the Camshaft position synchronizer and sensor, The black part on top is the sensor and it comes off w/ the 2 bolts and all it its is a magnet w/ windings around it. If that goes bad it will throw a code. The bottom aluminum case w/ the gear on the end is the syncro, the camshaft drives the gear and spins the syncro shaft in side the aluminum case but the oil pump is also driven by the silver part after the syncro gear. Alot of the times the teeth on the syncro gear strip out and when that happens the oil pump stops turning and pretty quick after that the motor goes. sometimes the bushings in the syncro where out and start making noise. Mine bushings used to squeak but all I did to stop it was take the sensor off and pour a cap full of motor oil in the syncro, I'm still gonna replace it to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

platinumdragon7

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got the part from a site online. It worries me how cheap it was compared to the dealer prices people have been quoting, but I figured it's worth a shot. I will try to replace it tonight or tomorrow night.

A lot of posts says you should be at 26deg past TDC and use the special alignment tool, but there are also a lot of posters that claim as long as you mark things well you don't need to be at 26deg past TDC, what do you think?

platinumdragon7

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I'm working on the mark everything down method but I got as far as removing the sensor and the synchronizer is stuck like a mother. I can't seem to get it to budge, any ideas. Oh and I did unscrew the hold down clamp

texasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have any help to offer, but I've been watching your thread with interest. My EDIS 3.0 has 153,000 miles and a high rpm chirp/squeak that I asked about in another post and have received no feedback at this time. I used to think it was an exhaust leak, but it only makes the sound under heavy load/high rpm. I searched the tech library as another user suggested-- but turned up nothing yet. Perhaps somebody could provide a link if some good info exists on the subject? Well, good luck.

platinumdragon7

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not technically experienced enough to answer questions, sorry.

However, this fix seems to be working for my truck so far. I have only driven it about 10 miles so far though. I'm sure it will get a good test run later this week. Thanks to all who have helped, I'm surprised it ended up being as easy as it was to fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals