• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange brake findings

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
So I recently replaced the pads and rotors on the front of my Ranger, I decided I should replace my brake shoes as well. I figured it'd be a simple shoe replacement on the back, boy was I wrong. The passenger side wheel cylinder is shot and the passenger side emergency brake cable is broken. Oh, and then there's this wonderful picture of the passenger side shoe that I saw when I pulled off the drum:

The bottom section of the shoe was just rolling around inside the drum and was not a result of me pulling the drum off, my guess is these shoes have been on here for awhile so I'm doing a total overhaul of the rear brakes for obvious reasons. This was very surprising to me and I figured some of you guys might get a kick out of it.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 81874766E40C6A 5th, 2022

ReapersRevenge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 until i move, then 4.0!
Transmission
Manual
My credo
what?
Man I have a strange suspicion that my brakes are going to look very similar as im getting caught up on the neglect from the PO

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
Man I have a strange suspicion that my brakes are going to look very similar as im getting caught up on the neglect from the PO
I went back and read your intro post, your truck sounds like it's in the same condition mine was back when I bought it in November last year. The only difference is the P/O had the trans rebuilt and the radiator replaced just before selling mine, which is nice to know there are two things I shouldn't have to worry about for awhile. Good luck with your truck, if you find anything as messed up as this post a picture!

I haven't seen anything to indicate that, but it wouldn't surprise me, I found a birds nest under the intake manifold just after I bought it and when it sat for all of May due to my charging system failure a squirrell made a nest just above the rear differential :annoyed:.