• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stock radio with subwoofer?

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
So my plan is to build a box to go between the two jump seats, the demisions will be 15.5"x5"x9" this will be .4 cu ft. and I'm looking at a 8" sub. So my question is How hard to is it to wire a amp into the stock 6disc. and Also is the 8" big enough to give a decesnt sound. or should I bump the box up a couple inches to 15.5"x5"x13" at .58 cu ft and bump up to a 10" shallow mount. the reason I want to keep the stock stero cause I already have my Ipod adapter that is ran like a Disc changer through the radio. thank you for your time.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
you box size is good for an 8'' but i would listen to an 8 and a 10 to see what sound you like better.but an 8 will give you a lil punch especially if you have stock everything else.

you ipod connector is that an FM modulator, a lil box the goes between your car ant, that has an rca on the side.

i kinda need more info, i wanna say no you cant run an amp off an 6 disk, but does it have rca outs????? if so you can send it to an amp. but you still have to get a remote line to the amp and i dont think you can tap into the 6 disk for that. welllllll you can but if your asking the question dont try it lol.

if you dont have rca on your 6 disk, they make an adapter that will tie into your rears and goes to your amp,

mazdamayham

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The remote wire and easily be tied into the key hot wire for the factory radio. Use the wiring diagrams availible in the tech pages to find the correct wire and splice into it.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
id tap into a cig lighter first, its easier and less to f up

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
you ipod connector is that an FM modulator, a lil box the goes between your car ant, that has an rca on the side.
No the it is a Ipod interface that connect to back of the head unit like a factory CD changer.

do it the ghetto way with a high to low adapter http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-050

It's not what I'd do but its simple and lets you keep your stock head unit
hey punk with this am I able to still get sound to the rear speakers? I believe that there was somthing like this in the truck from the P.O. cause the rear speaker wires have been spliced.
thanks again guys for all the info.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
id tap into a cig lighter first, its easier and less to f up
The cigarette lighter is hot all the time, even when the truck is off, so using that for the remote turn-on won't work.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
do it the ghetto way with a high to low adapter http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-050

It's not what I'd do but its simple and lets you keep your stock head unit
if you tap into the rears they will still work, just know that the quality of the signal isnt close to the same as signal cable however 98 cents to see if it does the job isnt a big risk. It will work but what I'm hoping it will do is inspire you to upgrade the head unit to something that can hook into an amp.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I came into this thread expecting something totally different, lol.

When I was 16 and young and stupid I lacked the money for an amplifier so using the low pass filter built into the head unit I got for Christmas, I powered 2 10" Pioneer subs directly from the head unit with no amp :lol_icon:. Didn't get super loud but the subs were only rated 100W RMS anyway.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The cigarette lighter is hot all the time, even when the truck is off, so using that for the remote turn-on won't work.
very true, i was assuming he was putting this in the 01 and i wanna say there ACC plugs so they go off and on with the car. not the old school push in cig lighters were there hot all the time.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
very true, i was assuming he was putting this in the 01 and i wanna say there ACC plugs so they go off and on with the car. not the old school push in cig lighters were there hot all the time.

The ACC jack is hot with the key off too...

At least it is in my 07

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Guys I also forgot to say that the head Unit is out of a mustang, So My idea I just had was, Can I just go to the JY and find a mustang that has the amp. then I can just pull the wiring and Amp that will take care of the my high-low filter problem and remote on switch correct? Again I'm not trying to build a crazy loud system, I just want a little more out of what I have with a stock looking setup.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals