• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stock components with D30 on 94 ranger

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Mines going to be nothing mre then a simple play toy/DD when I buy my dads ranger off him. No rocks in my rea and barrley a hill to climb. I did my swap because my front was no good and need something better. Got my D30 for fre and decided it would be a great learning experiance to do a SAS. I have no plans on running a v-8 of any kind in my truck, wont ever go about 33s on tire size. May be heavier in the front of a ranger, but your right foot determines how long your set-up wll last plus where and what kind of wheeling/off roading you do. The tires i have now and it will have till next year are 235 75r15, aka stock wheels plus the original 27 year old factory rims.

Boggin I say go for, dont let anybody talk you out of doing such a swap, your truck, do what you want, most people are here to help you out with it. You did ask for OPINIONS and ADVICE and thats what you got. Only you can have the final say in what your truck is going to get.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys, but theres someone interested in buying my ranger as is. so if he dont want her i think ill be doing the swap

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Mines going to be nothing mre then a simple play toy/DD when I buy my dads ranger off him. No rocks in my rea and barrley a hill to climb. I did my swap because my front was no good and need something better. Got my D30 for fre and decided it would be a great learning experiance to do a SAS. I have no plans on running a v-8 of any kind in my truck, wont ever go about 33s on tire size. May be heavier in the front of a ranger, but your right foot determines how long your set-up wll last plus where and what kind of wheeling/off roading you do. The tires i have now and it will have till next year are 235 75r15, aka stock wheels plus the original 27 year old factory rims.

Boggin I say go for, dont let anybody talk you out of doing such a swap, your truck, do what you want, most people are here to help you out with it. You did ask for OPINIONS and ADVICE and thats what you got. Only you can have the final say in what your truck is going to get.
well said :icon_thumby:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh and its a heavy sucker, with a Ford 5.0L V8 in place of the stock motor.

theres no such thing as a heavy jeep, period, a wrangler weighs about half of what a extended cab ranger does, and the engine that they come with factory AMC 258, or the 4.2 whichever u wanna call weighs the same as the 5.0, a straight six is a heavy pig to begin with, all a jeep is is a tin can with a drivetrain.

if boggin already has the 44, and hopes to put the 44 in it, i would spend the couple dollars to fix the 4wd even if it means buying a true dana 35 pig, its all parts u know u can sell when u make a actual upgrade. and save his funds to have the 44 which is a VASTLY superior axle (thuse why the dana 30 is so abundant noone wants them).

if i was todo the work id do it once and be happy, not do it once and end up with something ur afraid to mash the hammer in

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i have an explorer diff sitting in my garage i was thinking of putting in but **** it. i know someone that might take her off my hands without the body lift and roll bars for 1000 bucks, if he wants it he can have it

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have an explorer diff sitting in my garage i was thinking of putting in but **** it. i know someone that might take her off my hands without the body lift and roll bars for 1000 bucks, if he wants it he can have it
wait...so u were whining about putting a dana 30 which is a less beefy axle then a dana 35ttb when u already have the parts to fix it???

damn boggin, im hardly on for a while but u still havent changed lol:icon_thumby:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
fix what? theres nothing wrong with my diff, i just need a u joint. but thats not why i wanted to switch to a d30 dude, i just want straight axle. i would take a dana 30 over a 35ttb any day of the week, my truck, my choice. no whining here

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
fix what? theres nothing wrong with my diff, i just need a u joint. but thats not why i wanted to switch to a d30 dude, i just want straight axle. i would take a dana 30 over a 35ttb any day of the week, my truck, my choice. no whining here
gl with it man, not the route most would go with, but if u think itll hold i wish u the best of luck with it

just curious.....but we havent had the opinion of anyone that has a d30 in there ranger with 32/33s, if we could get that small group to chime in on how its holding up im sure that would help.

so far the people saying its perfect is one guy with a 2wd ranger, and one with a ranger that hasnt hit the dirt yet

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
that another thing. we havent even discussed tire sizes yet, only big tires i run are on my 79, shes the main toy. the ranger will only see 31s max

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that another thing. we havent even discussed tire sizes yet, only big tires i run are on my 79, shes the main toy. the ranger will only see 31s max
the why do the SAS? u need the lift inorder for the front axle not to contact the crossmember in the front, u can fit 31s on a stock height ext cab 4wd ranger

maybe its just me, but 33's 32s arent "big" tires. if i recall uve been breaking ur trucks stock since u got here lol.....

oh well, doesnt really matter, if ur set on doing it do u know if the axle ur getting vaccum actuated? ur gonna want to spend the money to put hubs on the d30 because they have the CAD on them, thus no hubs, if u dont it will be engaged all the time

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well im not trying to call them monster tires, i jus meant comparing to stock tires and whatnot on the ranger. and yes i always break stuff lol I even broke a hub on the 44 in my 79 with the 33s on.
the one im getting doesnt have the cad.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Try to avoid getting one with the CV shafts, like mine. Im not going to complain about mine though, it was free. I'll replace them with U-joint ones when/if they break.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
theres no such thing as a heavy jeep, period, a wrangler weighs about half of what a extended cab ranger does, and the engine that they come with factory AMC 258, or the 4.2 whichever u wanna call weighs the same as the 5.0, a straight six is a heavy pig to begin with, all a jeep is is a tin can with a drivetrain.

if boggin already has the 44, and hopes to put the 44 in it, i would spend the couple dollars to fix the 4wd even if it means buying a true dana 35 pig, its all parts u know u can sell when u make a actual upgrade. and save his funds to have the 44 which is a VASTLY superior axle (thuse why the dana 30 is so abundant noone wants them).

if i was todo the work id do it once and be happy, not do it once and end up with something ur afraid to mash the hammer in
Hmmm I beg to differ.

According to jeep magazine curb weight of a 1995 wrangler with a 6 cylinder is 3083lbs stock.

Also according to jeep magazine, a stock cj-7 weighs 2742lbs.

And also according to them a 1987 jeep yj weighs in at 3028lbs.

My B4000 with all its fixins weighs ~3700 (winch, bumper, sliders, new brackets etc).

One guy claims his Cj-5 all dressed for trail is 4200lbs.

My cousin's cj-7 tips the scales at over 4200, with a V8 conversion, currie D60's, 37's and lengthened wheelbase (lots o fab work).

My point being that my dad's jeep will be somewhere beteen these numbers I just mentioned. Somewhere between 3000-4200lbs. Probably right about 3600lbs which is just about what my truck weighs. A supercab 4.0L 4x4 B4000.

Thats hardly the "half a extended cab" weight you proposed.

Jeeps are in the same weight class as our RBV's. Just sayin.

If a dana 30 can hold up to a lifted jeep and large tires, so can a ranger.

Oh and according to here http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/Jeep-Wrangler-JK-Review-Offroad.htm

a new JK tips the scales at over 4500lbs!

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol, alright so i take it then uve had ur truck out wheeling with the dana 30 in the front of it?

curious to see some pictures of people actually wheeling with this axle in the front of there truck, so far its just alot of talk about how awesome a axle it is, and nobody with any experience wheeling there ranger with the axle in the front of it.

NOW if there was a way todo the SAS on the rangers and NOT have todo more then like 2" lift, i would says its worthwile, i do not argue that the 30 will not hold up if u drive like miss daisy on 31's but for anything built with offroad in mind theres reason jeepers toss them in there scrap piles

bahahhahah speaking of ur JK's

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jk-axle-sold-jeep-631425/

apparently the JK's are having a problem with the housing of the front axle snapping

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
lol, alright so i take it then uve had ur truck out wheeling with the dana 30 in the front of it?

curious to see some pictures of people actually wheeling with this axle in the front of there truck, so far its just alot of talk about how awesome a axle it is, and nobody with any experience wheeling there ranger with the axle in the front of it.

NOW if there was a way todo the SAS on the rangers and NOT have todo more then like 2" lift, i would says its worthwile, i do not argue that the 30 will not hold up if u drive like miss daisy on 31's but for anything built with offroad in mind theres reason jeepers toss them in there scrap piles

bahahhahah speaking of ur JK's

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jk-axle-sold-jeep-631425/

apparently the JK's are having a problem with the housing of the front axle snapping
damn JK's lol.

No I haven't, my truck is the much better Dana 35 TTB :yahoo: but I can post endless pictures of my dad's jeep wheeling Fordyce/Rubicon if you would like proof.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals