• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stock 98 front suspension lift swap question

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a friend with a 2wd 98 single cab short-bed asking me how to get 2 inches of lift in the front. After researching I have learned that it is more complicated than on my 96. That being said I ave him stock lift blocks from the rear-end of a 99 4x4 and I was wondering if I could just use the front spindles off of that 99 4x4 ranger on his 98 2wd to get that extra lift without dropping a bunch of cash for one of these kits I see ranging from $200-400.

The question:
The donor truck again was lifted stock from what I can tell and is sitting in the junkyard and it would be much cheaper if I could grab the front suspension components necessary for the front ~2 inch lift (doesn't matter the actual amount, he is good with stock lift). Would I need to grab the radius arms and all because the 4wd stuff is totally different or would any combination of parts work with this application in mind?

Any insight is much appreciated.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
What suspension does he have? There are different suspensions for our Rangers. If he has coil springs he can swap them out or use the correct type of spacers. That is the best way to go for the money!! Or he can do a body lift and get the height he wants and leave the suspension alone. With a lift comes a need for a front end alignment to make sure that truck rides the best and is safe for the road.

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
He was talking about swapping out his coils with F150 coils to get the lift so I believe he has the coils. It is a 98 2wd single cab short-bed though, didn't know they had different types of suspension in the front. I mean I knew the arms were different to accomdate for the independent wheel suspension but I thought after 98 they remained the same type of setup.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
hes asking to lift the 98. and he is asking if the 98 4x4 parts will work- at least thats what i get.

in that case: no.

ur best and cheapest option is some coil spacers. there arew some 2" spacers that will do the job. u cant go bigger than 2" anyway.
as for the rear u got it figured out. 2" blocks will do it.

the F-150 coils wont work on the 98+ A arm susp.

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good stuff, thanks for the quick replies. I have concluded that the coil spaces are in fact the best option for him and that will be my recommendation as well. Thanks guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals