• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stock 5.0 Ford Ranger?

BigOil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
unknown
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So i live in Alberta, Canada. and today something very weird happened. i was driving down the road when i was flagged down by some guy on the side of the road, i pulled over and he asked me if i could give him a boost. being the friendly Canadian i am i said yes and followed him to his ranger. when he popped the hood of the ranger i couldn't help but look at what sized motor was in it. On the valve cover to my surprise read 5.0 liter. the motor looked like it was installed from factory and when i asked if it was his wife told me the everything was stock from factory. I asked her if she was willing to sell the truck and she said yes, she was asking $4000 for the truck. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not asking the year of the truck. but i got her information and i plan on looking at the truck tomorrow. i was wondering if anyone knows what year the ranger might be and if $4000 is a fair price. i didn't get a chance to look under neath to see the condition it was in, but the body was in good shape from what i could tell (it was very dark when i looked at the truck) and she said the truck had 280 000 km on it. any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
No Rangers came stock with a 5.0

The only thing this could be is an older F150 with the Ranger trim package (Bronco's got an "Explorer" package). When Ford created a downsized line of trucks they used the trim package names for the new models.

Otherwise, the truck was converted (and very well) but unbeknownst to them and they bought it second hand thinking it came that way. Some people aren't that mechanical/car savvy.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Pictures! Go get a picture of this creature! And get a picture of the data plate/sticker on the door/jam. :D

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
NO WAY IN HELL!! And of course, you did not take any pictures!!! Gahhhhh!!! I hate when that happens!!!! lol

Ford Rangers never came stock with a V8. Too bad those stupid overseas countries got the full 4 door Rangers!!! Gahhhhhhh! I hate when that happens!!!!!

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
I had an old f250 with the explorer package

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My brother has a 78 F150 with both the Ranger and Explorer emblems.

Ray

EDIT: and a V8

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Some of the early full size trucks were called Rangers. They came with a V8. But, not the newer mid/mini truck series that came out I the earlier 80's. If the guy saw a full size truck he would have known it was a full size truck compared to a mid/mini truck....big difference there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals