• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stiction eliminator?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
... replace one quart with atf and a bunch of junk will come out though
^THIS! Run it for a couple days and you might even clog the old FL1A filter.
When I did it (granted to a junkyard engine from off the shelf), chunks came out that I have no idea how fit through the drain hole.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Soooo there might be somethin to this stuff.

Ive put about 250-300 mi on since i dumped it in. The oil is already turning from honey brown to a darkish tint.

Secondly, i just ran it roughly 40 mi straight thru, with only about a mile of 30mph running. When i did stop i did hear lifter noise...but its not rapping anything like before.

Ill post more results once i pack on more miles.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I've used HotShots Stiction eliminator in a few high mileage vehicles including the Ranger. I do a short OCI (2-3k) when running the full dose. Oil comes out very dark compared to without so I'd say it's doing something. The maintenance dose I run to a typical 5k OCI. Started doing it in our Sienna at around 200k and it's got about 330k on it now. They get a little tappy from time to time and it seems to help. I don't run full synthetic in the Sienna. Never had it so why start now. I do run a blend in the winter. Always 5W30 as recommended. Oil too thick is just as bad as too thin to me.

Occasionally I swap a quart of oil for MMO in the ranger and use 10W30 instead of the normal 5W30. Then a 2-3k OCI and it comes out black. I did use the trans fluid years ago but haven't in a long time.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Is running atf in the oil of something with hydraulic lifters advisable? Or could the crud it cleans out possibly plug up a lifter or something else?

That caddy I just picked up has like 98k on it. I almost wanna see how much crud I can flush out of the motor with ATF but don't want to be doing more harm than good. The motor I pulled out of the wagon could of definitely used a flush at those miles... beneath the valve covers looked like the tar pits that ate all our wooly mammoths lol.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Yeah I'm sort of in the same boat with a 67 LeMans. I got it a few years ago and it runs pretty good on 7 cylinders but the rings are toast. I'd would like to run some sort of flush before taking it apart. Might just try the ATF or actual motor flush. Stiction eliminator or MMO is a slower process so may be safer but the car isn't really up to much roadtime. It's licensed and insured but needs some major body repairs (lots of NEPA induced rust). Future retirement project...

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I did the ATF on my 4.0 if that tells ya anything. Now whether it's safe or I just got lucky, I couldn't tell ya for sure.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
On my '90 Bronco II I started getting lifter tick after I did an oil change with a new to me oil brand, I think it was Castrol GTX. Used the same oil in my son's 1986 Nissan 300zx around the same time, and that then also developed a pretty bad lifter tick. Switched both to another brand, I think it was Shell Rotella, and lifter noises promptly went away, simple as that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals