• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering wheels compatible with '85 Ranger?

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to find an OEM black steering wheel that I can swap into my '85. Anyone know what years and models have compatible steering wheels with 1985?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I know it's always nice to get a definitive answer from someone who has done something...but an alternative to that would be to cross reference the part on sites like LMC Trucks or others that actually sell the parts...

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/full.aspx?Page=48

On this page you can see the 85 is the same as 85-88 meaning they will interchange without any other hardware. These are after market but the implication is in the part year range.

So if you find an 85-88 Ranger with a black steering wheel...chances are it will fit your column without any modifications or adaptors needed.

Or you could just order an after market one if you see one you like...make sure to get any adaptors recommended just to reduce the amount of running around or waiting for more parts to complete a project...

I hope that helps@!

EDIT: If it helps...you don't typically need a wheel puller right away if you pull the whole steering column from the connetion in the engine bay right to the wheel. This way you can score any trim parts, ignition, wipers and other items that might come in handy...then when you get the puller you can just take the wheel off...it is a bit more involved...and does require removing part of the dash...and there are three bolts on the floor holding it to the firewall...8mm I think...

And aside from that...I don't think Ford made a black wheel for those years...I know they had them in the 89-92 models but that was because the dash trim changed and was usually black...but those years do not direct swap...changes behind the dash are needed to actually swap in a later model column...and you need the dash also...so much more involved.

Last edited:

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I actually did a lot of searching today to figure this out. Even spent the afternoon looking at every Ford at Pull A Part trying to see what might work. It seemed like 88 was the cut off year, but you never know what someone else has done.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good to know you have that ability...many people come here for answers and haven't even started to look because they simply don't know where to start...so I try to add a bit of information that allows some to pick up and carry on...

Did you find something that worked for you?

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I found a 92 Explorer with a nice black leather wheel. It looked exactly like the one in my 85 other than the color. I guess they must mount differently.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The wheels do look similar...you'd pretty much need to pull them and check...which can be so much work and if they do not match or incompatible...well, I'm sure you know the ramifications of all that...:)

JoeCanada

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
FWIW - I took a steering wheel from an 80's fox body Mustang and put it in my 83 Ranger once upon a time. Direct bolt in.

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
FWIW - I took a steering wheel from an 80's fox body Mustang and put it in my 83 Ranger once upon a time. Direct bolt in.
Yes, thanks for that info. Lots of black options there.

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the wheel to get a better idea of how it mounts.

The contact plate on the back of the wheel for power to the horn is going to have to match up as well or be swapped out.

I've been searching through pictures I can find online of other Ford model steering wheels trying to get an idea of how they compare. It seems that this general mounting configuration was used by Ford on almost all models during the '80s possibly into the very early '90s.

Last edited:

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I went ahead and took a chance on the '92 Explorer wheel and it mounted up to my '85 without any issue. The contact points for the horn don't line up to the new wheel so im going to have to reposition it or use the one off the Explorer.

'85 wheel

'92 wheel

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good work!

Just skip the wheel horn and get an air horn with a chain pull...much easier...:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals