• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering Wheel Vibrations

Cobrablues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Lariat
Transmission
Automatic
ok. Finally found the problem after paying a bit for balancing. It's the M/T designation. I was told that by a couple of wheel/tire people. Mud terrain do not hold balancing very well. I was not given a choice as to which tires I could get. However, in all the jacked up vehicles I have had, I guess I never bought Mud terrain tires. After further research, it seems that many people have had the same problem. So, honestly, I may have still gotten the tires by not knowing. And I live in New Mexico where there really ain't much mud. It seems that M/T tires are better suited for more off road use. I have had the truck for almost 7 months and only have about 6500 miles. So I guess I am about to buy some A/T's. Not cheap. But I will keep the M/T's and probably sell them rather than pay a disposal fee to give them away.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you aren't dealing with mud, the ATs will serve you well. Most good ATs perform on par it MTs until you hit mud, then they turn into racing slicks because they can't expel the mud like a mud tire will. Since you made the comment about off road use, it sounds like you won't do that much. So again, the AT will serve you better over all. General on road handling and tread wear will be better and still give you good off road use in most situations. They are a compromise just like any other tire. Buy the tire that best meets your needs and where you are willing to compromise.

Cobrablues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Lariat
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I do off road in some rocky areas but not as much as some. Probably not enough to warrant the headache of balancing issues.

mrgrtt123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The common cause of steering wheel vibration is to wheel and tires that were out of balance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals