• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering wheel swap

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I have yet another obscure question that probably will never get answered.

The steering wheel in my 01 Ranger is pretty much falling apart. I was looking at replacing it, but figured while I was there lets try and upgrade it. I was thinking about swapping in an 05-09 mustang wheel or really just anything that is decent looking. I'm wanting to keep my airbag, cruise control, and tilt as well. If i could pick up music controls too that's be swell, but not completely necessary. I'm pretty much useless when it comes to the inner workings of a steering wheel, so I don't really know what to look for in the compatibility department. If it comes down to just a replacement wheel, so be it.

Any input?

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
i would just go with a stock replacement unless u wanna go aftermarket then grant is a good brand and all u need to do is get the right adapter. now for music controls, if they didnt come in ur truck from factory then u wont be able to use it since ur radio wouldn't be wired for it.

deere245

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Mustang wheel won't fit. It has a sort of square end on the column where the wheel mounts. The Ranger/Explorer has a spline more like an axle. I think a F150/Expedition will fit, but they won't point straight ahead. A front end alignment should correct that.
S type Jaguar wheels are almost a direct fit. You just need to grind 1 tooth from the inner spline on the wheel. You then need to make your own decision on the airbag.
An Aviator wheel fits right on with no modification. Once again, you're on your own about the airbag.
I had a wood/leather Jag wheel on my old Ranger and I have a wood/leather Aviator wheel on my current Ranger. I have the Jag wheel and airbag for sale.
I won't say anything about the airbag. But it's easy to solve the problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals