• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering/Stopping

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
This post regards steering, stopping, and axles, so I figured General Discussions was a decent place to post it.

I finished my SOA leaf sprung SAS on a 2000 Ranger a few weeks ago. I had a bit of a jankety inverted y steering set up. I'm running into a few problems and I'm looking for direction. BTW, the axle is a HP D44 w/ disks from a 79 full size bronco.

I contemplated standard crossover, with a knuckle to knuckle tie rod and a drag link that intercepts the tie rod near the passenger side. I have a piece of 1.5" wide cold rolled bar drilled for tie rod ends. It has about a 20 degree bend in it to clear the leaf spring pack. Eh?

I'm also considering using a passengerside flat top knuckle with a 1" spacer and a highsteer arm, and running a pitman arm to knuckle drag link, and a knuckle to knuckle tie rod.

I'm also considering using a flattop driverside knuckle with the fun little curvy steering arm and running a knuckle to knuckle tie rod, with a drag link that runs from my pitman arm to the steering arm w/ spacer. Supposedly all D44s use the same 3 stud pattern for the steering arm, and dodge arms lead up, while chevy arms angle down. It'd possibly eliminate the need for a spacer and longer studs. I could use a knuckle from a 5 lug F250, or (I'm researching) a knuckle from a 5x5.5 dodge. Anyone know the compatibility?

I called around on craigslist, and found a guy parting a 76 F250. It's an 8 lug D44 with drums and the high steer arm. I could get it for 130 bucks.

Shitty thing is, my D44 is already geared to 4.30 and it's got molly shafts. And the 8 lug he's got has drums. Disk brake conversion using the parts from my current D44?

I'm on a college kid budget so I'm looking for a cost friendly course to take.

Any advice or direction would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals