• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering stabilizer idea

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
To start I have used the search function and can tell you I am not trying to cover any issues with the steering system. I just had the alignment done with new caster bushings so all of my previous issues are all but gone. The difference is astonishing! My truck is running 235/75-15, has no lift, the geometry is correct and level, it runs straight, and next to no bump steer other than running some grooves and some shoving from cross winds. The tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, and other sundry bushings are in good repair.
What I am looking for is a way to stiffen or take some of the lightness out of the steering. I don't like how light and touchy it is with out being responsive. Will a simple single stabilizer kit like MOOG SSD95 accomplish this?
I had a Wrangler for a rental (free upgrade) for a week and was really impressed with the difference in the steering. It had one from factory, so I am drawing some conclusions.
Thanks, y'all.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its worth a try

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
You won't need more than a single, but it is nice to have. Steering feel is important, and its a good mod to improve it. I've driven alot of rigs with them and the conclusion I draw is its nice to have the more and more tire you put on it.

I like the feel my truck has with 235/75r15s and no steering stabilizer personally, but if I had 4wd I'd probably go for one too. Being a 2 wheeler bump steer doesn't cause much problem for me lol.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have one and when I offroad it doesn't bother me. Just make sure you're thumbs aren't in the wheel or it can bite you when a rock grabs a tire.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, on rangers it tends to not get too bad. Some rigs are designed in a way that really requires one. See tons of fullsize dodges with them from factory. Ever wheeled one that didn't? gonna have a bad time. My xj had one, it drove great off road, then when I got my Grand Cherokee that didn't, it not only nearly stole my hand in the wheel the first time I off roaded it, but the harsh countersteer took the front tires from being out of the ruts, to dead center. Put the whole thing highcentered like you wouldn't believe. Made me have to regrease everything. And took 6 hours to dig free.

But rangers have a good steering system out of the gate.

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
If you think your steering box is loose you can tighten it... but if you tighten it to far you will wear it our faster... Check what has give, replace the sloppy joints if you have any and add the stabilizer. You can improve anything...

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
A stabilizer isn't going to fix wheel lightness. All ti is going to do is help bumpsteer and even then it isn't going to prevent it all it will do is help. Trust me smack it into a rut and it will still yank the wheel out of your hand.

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
A stabilizer isn't going to fix wheel lightness. All ti is going to do is help bumpsteer and even then it isn't going to prevent it all it will do is help. Trust me smack it into a rut and it will still yank the wheel out of your hand.
A stabilizer will not prevent bump steer at all... it will just slow down fast jerks in the wheel. And yes the wheel will still get yanked when you go into a rut but it wont be as harsh...

All the steering stabilizer is is a shock absorber with equal valving both ways...

And it does exactly what it is named, absorbe shock.

Excuse my horrible grammar....

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I tried it out anyways just to satisfy my curiosity. Y'all were correct. While it did help with the lightness and getting pushed around, it was to such a minor degree that the idea can only be called a bust. Think 1% improvement, or 1 mpg gain per tank when it is more pheasable to just check your tire pressure.
On the other hand! It did show that I have more play in the steering box than I originaly thought, so there was some measure of benefit to this. Even if it does means more work to come.
Thanks for the help and insight, y'all!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals