• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering funkyness

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So the trucks a 96, 2.3, 4x4. The steering is super responsive in one direction but not the other. This morning it ended up having to over correct coming out of a curve to keep the thing on the road. Any thoughts on what i should throw at it? Everything in the front end is clapped except for the gearbox.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not aligned, needs a 4 wheel alignment as well just to be sure frame isn't tweaked

If ball joints are original change them first, any other parts needed are usually not hard to replace or expensive, ball joints are the hard ones

Also on a 4x4 changing both the front axle u-joints, its not expensive to do when doing the ball joints, so should be done as well

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its not aligned, needs a 4 wheel alignment as well just to be sure frame isn't tweaked

If ball joints are original change them first, any other parts needed are usually not hard to replace or expensive, ball joints are the hard ones

Also on a 4x4 changing both the front axle u-joints, its not expensive to do when doing the ball joints, so should be done as well
Im not sure if they’re original but the are old and shot. Guess ill just plan on a whole front end job.

Would these joints be responsible for the wheel shaking at all speeds when the hubs are locked in. Does it in both 2 and 4x4. There doesnt seem to be any play in them, i checked them when i got it and greased everything

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be axles u-joints or front driveline u-joints, these are only "used" when front hubs are locked, in 2WD or 4WD
When hubs are unlocked none of these u-joints are used/spinning

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Alright so this thing is still shaking pretty violently when the hubs are locked in. Its a 96 with a dana 35 ttb front axle. I replaced the brakes, wheel bearings, axle joints, steering components from the pitman arm out, and shocks. Drives fine with the hubs unlocked. As soon as theyre locked in it shakes like its got death wobble. Theres no slop in the front driveshaft or pinion so those are fine. Any ideas? Bent axle shaft maybe? I doubt the 2.3 could bend one but maybe?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Did your axle joint move real smooth after you replaced them?

Any chance someone put a locker in it before you bought it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Drive it in 4high with hubs unLocked, bent axle would still cause vibration when powered by transfer case

I assume Axle joints are the u-joints
So when hubs are locked in 2WD it vibrates, and in 4high as well

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did your axle joint move real smooth after you replaced them?

Any chance someone put a locker in it before you bought it?
Yeah they moved smooth like you would expect from a new axle joint. Its possible but i doubt it since the rear is a one wheel wonder.
Drive it in 4high with hubs unLocked, bent axle would still cause vibration when powered by transfer case

I assume Axle joints are the u-joints
So when hubs are locked in 2WD it vibrates, and in 4high as well
Yes little u joints that connect the inner and outer axle shafts in the front. Ill have to take it for a spin in 4hi with the hubs unlocked, I haven’t tried that yet.

What are the odds of a bent axle shaft? Anyone done it or seen it in these dana 35s?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals