• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering column, not steering wheel crooked.

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I know this question will be misunderstood, but I'm not talking about a steering wheel that's not straight. That can be resolved with a simple alignment and is a straight forward fix. What I'm talking about is that the steering column itself is angled ever so slightly pointing toward the driver's door. It's subtle, but no other car I own seems to have this issue. Can the angle of the steering column itself be straightened?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
it should have some funny head rivets, or maybe some type of bolt, but once you loosen or knock the hardware free, the collar might be slotted enough to move it over a hair or two.

most steering assemblies are angled over a bit because the foot wells and transmission tunnel shapes. you really see it in some sports cars where the steering wheel is not centered on the seat by a good amount. people usually don't notice though

my bmws were always off center of the seat enough that if you sat and looked, you could not unsee it anymore. i have not checked the ranger but i feel like it was off a little

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have never taken a 2010 Ranger steering column completely apart, BUT, for 1st generation Rangers/B2 you can make slight adjustments by lowering the column, BUT, if you have a noticeable slant then I would guess the steering wheel has been slammed and the column has been collapsed on one side AND maybe the bearing in the end of the column is no longer in place to locate the steering shaft.

In this second picture, the steering column had been pulled so hard, the bearing had been pulled off the shaft from where it is suppose to be and the seal was destroyed. The bearing was still wedged on the shaft, but, obviously, it created a few minor problems.

To make a 3" body lift, on my 1985, I cut the bottom steering accordion 2"+- and welded it back together, after pushing the bearing back on to the splines, and making a seal from a cool whip lid ... plus, a few other details.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals