• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steel Cam Gear

sparky2eh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Ranger
Make / Model
1988 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I am looking for a steel cam gear for the Duraspark distributor I am installing in a 87 5.0 roller engine........ I have ordered ones for an 85 Mustang Gt 5.0 carbed manual tranny and both I received are too big for the dizzy shaft... so I have searched some more but not found a part number..... now to the question does anyone know the Part Number, we have Napa and LordCo here for parts so a Napa part number would be a bonus. Thanks.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well don't have the NAPA number but looks like the Ford number is M-12390-B. Maybe they can cross reference to that.
Dave of the Nord

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I am looking for a steel cam gear for the Duraspark distributor I am installing in a 87 5.0 roller engine........ I have ordered ones for an 85 Mustang Gt 5.0 carbed manual tranny and both I received are too big for the dizzy shaft... so I have searched some more but not found a part number..... now to the question does anyone know the Part Number, we have Napa and LordCo here for parts so a Napa part number would be a bonus. Thanks.
You're ordering for the motor application instead of the distributor application. The Duraspark uses a .467 ID cam gear(same as a points distributor). The 87 distributor uses a .531 for it's TFI distributor.

sparky2eh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Ranger
Make / Model
1988 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The dizzy I am using is for a 77 or 78 302 and is a duraspark version. The parts stores here need a make/model/year/engine to get part numbers.... so I ordered a gear for a Ford/Mustang/GT/302/Carbed/Manual transmission.... but I received the larger ID cam gear..... which I guess is for a TFI dizzy.....next is trying to order a complete dizzy for the 85 GT.... which is too bad as the duraspark dizzy I have is a new/rebuilt :(
I will see if they can xrefer the Ford number M-12390-B but I will not hold my breath :) seems all the "old school" Partsman are retired and all that are left is the insert make/model/year/engine/AC or no AC ones :)
Thanks for the info.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Order it for an 85 Mustang GT with manual transmission. That was the only application for that gear/distributor.

sparky2eh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Ranger
Make / Model
1988 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Order it for an 85 Mustang GT with manual transmission. That was the only application for that gear/distributor.
Yup exactly what I ordered at two different stores and got the larger gear both times..... now I am told if I can get them a part number for the gear they can get it..... sort of thought that was their job :)

sparky2eh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Ranger
Make / Model
1988 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't remember my dist costing more than 80 with an old tfi dist as core, even from Napa, that eBay seller is out of their mind lol.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I don't remember my dist costing more than 80 with an old tfi dist as core, even from Napa, that eBay seller is out of their mind lol.
It was for dimensions and part number. Do you know where to find part number for the gear was his question, it needs to have a B on the end of the number to fit the points or duraspark dizzy. $79 and $80 dollars seems to be the running price for that gear ebay has free shipping if he wants to wait.

sparky2eh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Ranger
Make / Model
1988 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks again guys for the info. I am leaning towards just getting a new/rebuild dizzy for the 85 GT but I have to wait until the parts stores open tomorrow.
Sometimes I wish I lived in the USA when it comes to getting parts, it is often a pain here and with the "border nazi's" you can quite easily have the price double after taxes, customs and shipping to this fair island :sad:

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When i did my 302 swap i ordered a complete dist for an '85 Mustang GT with a 5 speed from autozone and the gear on it was wrong each time and they got one in, and they ordered about 3 or 4 thinking they would eventually get the right one but they never did. so i just bought a bronze gear from summit instead.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
When i did my 302 swap i ordered a complete dist for an '85 Mustang GT with a 5 speed from autozone and the gear on it was wrong each time and they got one in, and they ordered about 3 or 4 thinking they would eventually get the right one but they never did. so i just bought a bronze gear from summit instead.
I bought mine from Advance Auto Parts. Got the right distributor and gear the first time. :icon_thumby:

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I might have to try them if i do another swap, which i may to my '88.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals