• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stealerships

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Adsmo8, I have the right to use that term. I worked all departments of major dealerships, service and parts manager as well as writing service and wrenching, and as a partsman, also did warranty claims, 30 years worth and five different dealerships, I have seen what goes on behind the curtain that those on the floor dont see, Warranty rip offs for which I was fired for, for reporting them to the tune of $45,000 on a double take billing scam, claiming it wasnt covered under warranty( do to mileage) when it was, then filing warranty claims, these where on subaru transmissions that customers where not notified by mail, it was on the dealerships to report on to there customers. another dealership I worked for it was the service departments manager/ writer, ripping off customers by offering insentives for mechanics to not untorqure disel heads so he would get a commission selling new heads when the cars only needed a head gasket, This is really bad when shops are commision based or have insentives, on the early Rabbit VW 30,000 k service we had a mechanic that was supposted to adjust the shim type valves, he always came to the counter and got the gaskets, but NEVER adjusted any valves he just wiped the valve cover clean and put a yellow paint mark on them he got caught with 75 or so gaskets in the side draw on his box, when he was away on sick leave, and came back he wasnt fired, I could tell a ton of things that gave gone on all based on greed, after 30 some years I walked off the job and opened my own shop:annoyed::annoyed:

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You live every day, you only die once...
Most of that right there is why I don't really care to take vehicles to dealerships to have them worked on. They overcharge you and you most likely are going t have to take it back to the dealer or somebody else to fix it again in just a short period of time.

A friend of mine who has a Nissan Xterra took it up to the dealer to have a faulty timing chain guide replaced and they told him that they were going to charger close to 2 grand just to do it. That is ridiculous. I know it may take longer, but I will stick to doing the work myself for a cheaper amount of money.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only thing I take my rigs in for is bodywork, exhausts and alignments.

My brother is one of the two techs at the Ford dealership, one of his best friends and our former assistant scoutmaster is the other. Needless to say I trust them. I just don't like their rates. :icon_thumby:

I would trust them a lot farther than any independant shop in the area... which can also easily do most of the things the OP is blaming dealers for.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You highlight a couple unique situations were dealers can rip you off since they handle warranty word and more likely to see scheduled maintenance. And maybe, having larger crews allows some individuals to get away without doing the work right or their turning blind eye as long as someone appears to get down in less than the allocated time.

To me it all seems the wild west as far as getting what you pay for. I've had problems with dealers, non-dealer larger shops and small shops. I've had a couple really good shops too including one dealer (which went out of business).

A few things I have learned.

1) Higher cost generally doesn't equate to better results. It seems to be the opposite if anything.

2) Expensive repairs needed to solve a problem somehow rarely solve the original problem. I am completely gun shy at this point having a shop do something unless I already am pretty certain what the problem is.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Sorry, but it's not just dealerships. I am in no way affiliated with a dealer, but I've had more shady experiences outside a dealer than with a dealer.

I have a really really hard time taking my car anywhere. When I do, I make it known that I want evidence of the work - like I want the old parts back. I also watch from a distance. I watched the alignment being done on my F150.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
As a former insurance agent, I'll tell you how wonderful the existence of Garagekeeper's Liability Insurance is. So when your car gets screwed up by the shop can pay for it.

I don't necessarily hate dealerships, but the pricing is pretty awful on parts. I think dealerships should really only be used for purchasing a vehicle and getting maintenance under warranty done. I have no experience with something not being covered under warranty myself. From reading many estimates, I personally think people get screwed over more by outside shops

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Sorry you worked for some shitty organizations but it pisses me off to no end when people try and paint all dealers with that same shitty brush.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It's a descriptive characterization, not a specific paintbrush...individual mileage may vary.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Sorry you worked for some shitty organizations but it pisses me off to no end when people try and paint all dealers with that same shitty brush.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Agreed, it's really an unfair stereotype.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
My cousin works at a Ford dealership. Every where I looked they want $110 for a driver side bottom door hinge for a 97 thunderbird. But he just ordered me one for $40 with shipping from Utah. If he hadn't ordered it, I would have had to pay the extra $70 for it like every where else was wanting. This is also a dealership only part too.

I have however seen that if you are a returning customer that they do tend to give you a break on the price of things because of you return to them for your vehicle parts and needs. But if you're a one time not going to ever come back customer, full price for you. Those are from personal experience and an the words of an old autoshop teacher I had in high school.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like your area is shady as hell to bring a car anywhere. usually its the shady fly by night places screwing people everywhere ive been. but it goes both ways im sure.... our local ford dealer f'ed us three times out of three times ive brought our cars there.... even lied straight to my face about adjusting my camber bushings i just installed the night before. but all of the dealers i have worked for have been more than trust worthy... and its not because i work there. i deal with a lot of trust worthy independent shops too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals