• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starts cold Everytime, will not restart until waiting 1-2 sometimes 3 hours. FRUSTRATING!

Tdyerx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I need some help bad. I'll start from the beginning. A few months ago I ran to McDonald's on my lunch break. Parked and ate my food for about 20 min. Went to start my truck but it would not fire. It cranks fine but would not start. I called a co worker to come get me and left the truck there until I got off work. After work went to my truck and it started right up. I decided I would shut it off and see it would start back up without issue. The truck was running for about a minute, I shut it off and attempted to restart it. Same thing it would crank but would not start. Now I was stuck so I had a buddy come help me try to figure it out. We checked connections in relays and fuel pump but could not get it running. Then after about two hours of dicking with it, it started up for no apparent reason. From then on out the truck would cold start just fine every morning. But if I shut it off, even after only just a few seconds of running it would not restart unless I waited a few hours. It didn't make sense to me. Why would it take hours to cool down if it was only running for 30 seconds? I ended up parking the truck at my dad's house for a couple weeks and drove another vehicle. One day I went to get some things out of my truck and I started it up. Shut the truck off and attempted to restart it. This time it fired right up. I shut it off and restarted it three or four times. Ran it for 5 minutes or so shut it off and restarted it and it fired right up. So I said hell with it I'll start driving it again. I drove it for about 2 months without any issues. Now all of a sudden it's doing the same thing again.

I have checked the fuel pump in the relays they're good. I cleaned out the throttle body and air intake valve. I've looked all over for any loose connections. I've checked ground wires. I do not have a check engine light however I'm pretty sure someone before me disconnected the light. So I have not taking it to the auto parts store to scan for codes. I will once I get this thing started but right now I'm stuck at my local grocery store. Is there anyone out there who can please bring me some insight to my problem? I can't afford to just start throwing parts at it. I have to drive the everyday to work and I keep getting yelled at by gas stations for pumping my fuel with my truck running LOL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Really need to see if there are any codes. There were some Chrysler products 10 or so years a go that would do this and it was usually a bad cam position sensor.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Did you check for spark during the no start?

Tdyerx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I've checked for spark during no start. And yeah I'm going straight to AutoZone to check codes as soon as I get it running again.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Faulty ECT sensor can cause the symptoms you describe. Engine starts fine cold because it's in closed loop mode, but with no signal from the ECT when the engine warms up the computer doesn't know this. Try to start it hot, computer assumes it's cold and floods the engine.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was going to suggest it sounds like a flooding problem. There is a clear flooded engine procedure;
Push gas pedal to floor, keep it floored and try to start engine. The injectors are disabled during this procedure. If it fires up or even attempts to start there is fuel in the cylinders that shouldn't be there.
Dirtman has a good point.

Last edited:

Rusty Bouquet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xl
Transmission
Automatic
Not a diagnosis, but have you tried to disconnect the battery for a minute, when it won't start, and then try again? Not a fix, but maybe save you some time when it happens.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals