• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting Problem: Solved

StudilyDoRight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I already fixed the problem, I'm just posting my story cause I couldn't find the cause on any forums and someone else may be having the same problem.

I bought my 87 ranger with a "bad clutch". The previous owner said the clutch was preventing it from starting. The neutral safety switch was plugged in, but the starter wasn't getting power through turning the key. The truck would start just fine from arching across the solenoid points.

The battery tested at 12.8 after sitting all night, but the solenoid wouldn't click even once, with the key or with a hard wire from the battery. So, naturally I replaced the solenoid. Then the solenoid clicked but wouldn't turn the starter.

Next I checked the resistance from my negative battery post to my frame, and the ground tested solid. Battery terminals were tight and un-corroded. Finally I load tested my battery and my voltage dropped off the meter. So I replaced the battery and it starts with the key just fine, but the rear differential is destroted.

Moral of the story: you never know how good a deal is until you find the actual problem.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good to hear...I've been thinking about replacing my battery lately because it is approaching 4 years since it was new and spunky...I think the average battery lasts 5 years before it is seriously in need of replacement, but have had them last much longer.

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
My wife had a battery in her car for 5 years so I replaced it. A couple months later she said she heard a bang under the hood and it wouldn't start. I thought it backfired but when I went there, I found the top of the battery blown off. There was a poor joint in one cell that finally blew. So, you never know.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Thanks for the symptom/Solution(s)!!!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals