• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting my sas swap. Have questions

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I still find it strange that other states ticket for being too wide. I understand being wider than a lane, but you're still driving a standard width vehicle even if its full size. Bah I guess were just luckier here in Tejas.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Armadillon, it's not about running wider in your lane, it's about road debris, visibility, and safety.

There's trash, a fallen wooden pallet, or just environmental debree on the road. You run over it your truck, and other cars may get blinded as it flies outward and into the air, as opposed to staying lower to the ground. Snow, rain, and gravel will just kicked up from running a larger width, and that can become a major safety issue if you do not have fender flares or a tire that sticks 6" past your body. It's not an open wheel track monster, it's a safe mode of transportation on the street.

:p

Have you ever been in an offroad caravan, and a truck with a wide stance launch a rock rearward toward your window? Yea, it's scary shiz.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
People should be far enough back that debri launched from tires will not harm or endanger there vehicle. I leave a rooster tail every time it rains and I drive my ranger. Drivers behind me change there driving habits to match or risk rear ending me which is an automatic at fault in Texas. I think it's ridiculous that other states don't think this way. It's not up to the guy in front of you to look out for your safety.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I do go worth full length. How would I go about mounting the suspension since everything would be wider?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
There's tons of threads about it. There's easy and hard ways to do it. Just search sas.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have to weld perches etc already just go ahead and move the suspension mounts to suit your needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Keep it full width man. Its a lot less work. You will be glad you did and it will look freakin awsome.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I personally would hate wheeling on full widths, at least on anything smaller than 40's. They get hung up on to much stuff to be worth the added stability they offer IMO.

If you are choosing full widths because "it will look freakin awesome", then you are probably not worried about the possible downsides they might have if you actually wheeled it...

Last edited:

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Plum, you're just jeal :)

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
^Nope.lol I have a full width HP sitting in the shop...waiting to be narrowed.lol

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Most men don't shorten what they already have haha

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I personally would hate wheeling on full widths, at least on anything smaller than 40's. They get hung up on to much stuff to be worth the added stability they offer IMO.

If you are choosing full widths because "it will look freakin awesome", then you are probably not worried about the possible downsides they might have if you actually wheeled it...
I actually wheel my full widths all the time and the downsides you speak of are minor. Yea it does look freakin awesome thanks for the spelling correction.
They have saved my truck from rolling over way more than they have hung me up. Narrowing them would be cool too and it would look good. I just dont see the point. What would you actually be gaining? Your narrow so you can fit in tighter places. Ok what else is a plus from a narrowed axle? I wouldnt butcher perfectly good set of full widths. IMO

yostyexplorer94

Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I had the same mind set of not being able to fit places I used to when I was debating going full width or narrow. I actually narrowed an axle and couldn't get the cast '79 c to go in far enough cause I didn't prep it enough or use the hot/cold method to press it back on. (live and learn) I had a spare full width axle so I said screw it, I am going full width.

I am very glad I did. Everywhere I went before I can still fit. The one spot I rub trees on each side with the sidewalls of my tires, but i still fit. The full widths have saved the body from damage several times against banks and the stability is better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals