• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting From Ground Up

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.3 from ground up for a supercharger....i thought about the pros and cons of each and decided on a supercharger b/c of lack of lag unless anyone can talk me out of it into a turbo....

My question is i need direction as to the build...so anyone got pics, links, or specific advice b/c i have no clue where to even begin...i have a perfectly fine running 2.3 out of a junk '93 xl Ranger that i'm using as a donor on a engine stand so it's an all at once thing that i don't want to have to pull again after it's in.

Thanks ya'll

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
2.3 from ground up for a supercharger....i thought about the pros and cons of each and decided on a supercharger b/c of lack of lag unless anyone can talk me out of it into a turbo....

My question is i need direction as to the build...so anyone got pics, links, or specific advice b/c i have no clue where to even begin...i have a perfectly fine running 2.3 out of a junk '93 xl Ranger that i'm using as a donor on a engine stand so it's an all at once thing that i don't want to have to pull again after it's in.

Thanks ya'll

Look here:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/rabello

You should find enough info to get you started, but I warn you, a turbo will be easier because it's already been done by people other than me!

Last edited:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Your nnot the only one that has used a supercharger, anupaum.

jmzneal,
I personally can't see a reason to try to talk you out of it. Your ultimate goal will dictate your parts selection. What do you want this to do?

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I learned pretty quickly that this machine has barely sufficient power to move onto a freeway onramp at a rate equivalent to other vehicles on the road, and with a load in the bed, its acceleration can best be described as "glacial" Many drivers who do not appreciate this truck's inability to get out of their way express their distress in all manner of enraged gesticulations. I felt compelled to rectify this situation with forced induction.
This truck looks (is starting to look good) and just doesn't have the authority to dominate on the road as well as in the db drags so i'm superchargeing it and hopefully going to beable to keep up with the big boys alittle more.
Thanks for the link and i love your avitar....

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
This sounds a lot more like you have a problem that needs to be fixed (FIRST!) than needing to pursue forced air or other power adders.

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i'll need plumbing diagrams when i get started for the air flow...why did you use a m90 it seems a little large?
i think i'll do the next smaller one. so all the brackets are cnc cut and custom fabbed huh....sounds like i have a lot of cutting a head of me...
stupid question>>>is it upside down cuz the pic on the Eaton site didn't have air inlet/outlet on the top...
Your running stock heads and pistons?
Did you ever get it to quit lagging when throttle dropped quickly cuz i want great throttle response..reason for choosing super over turbo....
got any more pics of bracketry, plumbing, or general install......i really thank you for that b/c i now know what to expect....i though it had to be bolted to the top of the manifold or something but it's totally independent and free floating(in a sense) and not real mods have to be done to the motor itself to installation right????

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This sounds a lot more like you have a problem that needs to be fixed (FIRST!) than needing to pursue forced air or other power adders.
He was quoting from my web site!

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i'll need plumbing diagrams when i get started for the air flow...
Your installation will likely differ somewhat from mine. The plumbing isn't that hard to do--just get pre-bent tubes and connect them with radiator hose. I've got a set of mandrel bent tubes in my garage right now that will be going on the truck once the blower is back on.

why did you use a m90 it seems a little large?
Because it was cheap, and the M 90 lends itself to custom installations a bit better than the smaller units do.

i think i'll do the next smaller one. so all the brackets are cnc cut and custom fabbed huh....sounds like i have a lot of cutting a head of me...
No, they're not CNC cut--they're just cut! I had to have the pedestal mount custom bent for me, but other than that, it's just a bunch of angle iron. The front torque arm was plasma cut out of a hunk of steel because the original one kept bending!

stupid question>>>is it upside down cuz the pic on the Eaton site didn't have air inlet/outlet on the top...
The position of the blower doesn't matter. Air goes in through the back and comes out of the top.

Your running stock heads and pistons?
Yes.

Did you ever get it to quit lagging when throttle dropped quickly cuz i want great throttle response..reason for choosing super over turbo....
Not with the factory computer. Once the intercooler went on that became a problem I couldn't fix. Getting rid of the mass air system and going to speed density took care of that issue.

got any more pics of bracketry, plumbing, or general install......
The blower isn't on right now, so I can take as many photos as you need. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and let me know exactly what it is you need photographed.

i really thank you for that b/c i now know what to expect....i though it had to be bolted to the top of the manifold or something but it's totally independent and free floating(in a sense) and not real mods have to be done to the motor itself to installation right????
It IS "free floating" in a sense, but the bracketry is bolted to the engine in three places: the pedestal mount bolts to the RH engine mount, the front torque arm bolts to the AC pad, and the rear torque arm bolts to the header.

The engine is stock except for the computer, the 19# / hour injectors, the larger radiator and the blower. I have an SVO head that I'd thought to put on this engine, but now that I know I can make the dual plugs work with Megasquirt, I'm reluctant to build the head for this application.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
cool...i know nce i actually buy it and get ready to put it on that the braket design will just come to me...are there any hood clearence issues?

and i've never heard of dense air system....would a very custom chip or computer reprogram from a professional do any good or should i just leave it alone and do what your doing b/c bamachips is in alabama and i could easily drive down and have them do it for me if you think that it would over come that problem...
i'll look up dense air right now but i would like your input on it too...PM sent thanks again dude
i'm pulling the engine this week end and going to start the break down to have the block and head sent to a machine shop for port and polish and have the head rebuilt and forged pistons put in it...larger TB and cammed out for alot of off the line torque. is there anything inperticular i should ask for or just say "here, do it and leave it stock bored and stuff"

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
and i've never heard of dense air system....
It's a speed density system that he is using.

would a very custom chip or computer reprogram from a professional do any good or should i just leave it alone and do what your doing b/c bamachips is in alabama and i could easily drive down and have them do it for me if you think that it would over come that problem...
They could probably help you if you had a '95 or newer engine management system.

cammed out for alot of off the line torque.
You won't need much of a cam for a supercharged application.

is there anything inperticular i should ask for or just say "here, do it and leave it stock bored and stuff"
A good port and polish should be all you need.

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
cool---i was looking at the desity thing and i don't really care for it just looking at it one the internet...it looks to complicated if i have to specificly tune it every time the weather chages bc of temp dif and stuff...why wouldn't the mass air flow work if you put it really close to the TB like on the outlet side of the super charger and got a new high flow one that is capible of reading higher flow or what ever. that way its sending the engine the right specs at the closest point to the cylinder
the dude off bama chips told me to bring it in and he could totally recalibrate every aspect of the pc so what ever i do to the engine can be adj for.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
cool---i was looking at the desity thing and i don't really care for it just looking at it one the internet...it looks to complicated if i have to specificly tune it every time the weather chages bc of temp dif and stuff...why wouldn't the mass air flow work if you put it really close to the TB like on the outlet side of the super charger and got a new high flow one that is capible of reading higher flow or what ever. that way its sending the engine the right specs at the closest point to the cylinder
the dude off bama chips told me to bring it in and he could totally recalibrate every aspect of the pc so what ever i do to the engine can be adj for.
I tried to move my mass air sensor upstream of the intercooler, but it didn't work. Someone MIGHT make a mass air unit that can deal with boosted air, but I couldn't find one and the speed density system seemed to be the most reasonable solution.

I don't have to re-tune my system every time the weather changes. Speed density calculations are based upon the difference between manifold pressure and cylinder pressure, so when the barometric pressure changes, the calculations compensate for it without trouble. (There's also a temperature sensor, so the weather isn't a factor. I've run this engine in VERY cold weather without difficulty!) The biggest advantage to mass air is that it compensates really well for gradual changes in engine performance due to wear and tear.

Perhaps the guy at Bama knows what he's talking about. If that's so, it would be easier for you to have your factory computer recalibrated with a new chip. I have to say, however, that I'm really happy with my Megasquirt!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals