• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter Won't Disengage

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1991 Ford Ranger 2.3, 5 speed. The Truck will start but the starter won't disengage unless you pull the battery cables. Has anyone had this problem before? I have had the starter tested and it tested fine. I have also replaced the solenoid on the fenderwell and it still didn't fix it. Let me know if anyone has some advice, thanks

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have someone start the truck, and if the starter stays engaged, tap the solenoid with a decent size screwdriver using the handle to hit the solenoid, if it disengages the starter then you need a good genuine motorcraft solenoid instead of a el-cheapo one, if the sharp tap to the solenoid doesn't work remove the wire from the S terminal of the starter solenoid, attach a volt meter or test light to S wire and turn the ign key to start the truck like normal, release the ign switch to the run position, and see if you are still getting power to the S wire, if there's still power it's either a short, feedback, or ignition switch problem.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had it happen to my Ranger one night...it was a short...so try what Kenneth suggested...outside of that, check the ground wire because that was a major source of problems for my truck...seemed to vibrate loose all the time...

BTW, my starter did not need to be replaced...from this situation...it was a loose wire somewhere...and it happened during a stall out on a very snowy cold night...first time I had to have the truck towed for problems...

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
Old thread, but I'm having this issue and I am fairly certain that the solenoid is not the issue.

Story goes:
I burnt out one starter because the signal wire post was broken and contacting the power wire. The replacement starter was brand new and cranked over once then made a horrible screeching noise and wouldn't crank again. I then changed the fender solenoid even though I didn't really suspect it was bad. It still didn't crank, so I had the starter warrantied. The new, NEW starter won't disengage. I crank, fire, then the starter is still cranking the whole time it's running and stops when I shut the key off.

I tried the new new starter on both solenoids, to the same result. I checked the S terminal and it checked out so that rules out the ignition (which is only 2 years old). Both positive and negative battery cables are brand new, as well as the battery.

P.S. 4.0L 5spd

Last edited:

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
Old thread, but I'm having this issue and I am fairly certain that the solenoid is not the issue.

Story goes:
I burnt out one starter because the signal wire post was broken and contacting the power wire. The replacement starter was brand new and cranked over once then made a horrible screeching noise and wouldn't crank again. I then changed the fender solenoid even though I didn't really suspect it was bad. It still didn't crank, so I had the starter warrantied. The new, NEW starter won't disengage. I crank, fire, then the starter is still cranking the whole time it's running and stops when I shut the key off.

I tried the new new starter on both solenoids, to the same result. I checked the S terminal and it checked out so that rules out the ignition (which is only 2 years old). Both positive and negative battery cables are brand new, as well as the battery.

P.S. 4.0L 5spd
Got it, amateur hour over here. Whilst switching the fender relay/solenoid back and forth I attached the alternator charge wire to the starter terminal. I effectively hardwired my starter to run off the alternator.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Got it, amateur hour over here. Whilst switching the fender relay/solenoid back and forth I attached the alternator charge wire to the starter terminal. I effectively hardwired my starter to run off the alternator.
I suspected you had done something of the sort.

When I got my Mustang the starter would over-run for about 10 seconds, and it would burn one out about every three months.

While changing it out the second time I started checking the wiring and found a previous owner had gotten wires switched around.

MsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Have someone start the truck, and if the starter stays engaged, tap the solenoid with a decent size screwdriver using the handle to hit the solenoid, if it disengages the starter then you need a good genuine motorcraft solenoid instead of a el-cheapo one, if the sharp tap to the solenoid doesn't work remove the wire from the S terminal of the starter solenoid, attach a volt meter or test light to S wire and turn the ign key to start the truck like normal, release the ign switch to the run position, and see if you are still getting power to the S wire, if there's still power it's either a short, feedback, or ignition switch problem.
I'm having the same problem and have brand new starter and starter relay or solenoid. I'm trying to put a push button start on it but now sure how to wire it up. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals