• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter wiring

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
Got most of the wiring done and just have the starter left I wired it up the same as the 3.0 I had in their, yellow wire with green stripe down to starter solenoid and hot wire to starter. When I hook the batterie up The starter wants to crank the motor over with out turning the key. Can any one help me to figure this out. Don't know what's really going on, Or would it be simpler just to wire in a push start button?
The truck is a 99 ranger and swapping in a carbed 351w, I have the rest of the wiring done and everything works.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Got most of the wiring done and just have the starter left I wired it up the same as the 3.0 I had in their, yellow wire with green stripe down to starter solenoid and hot wire to starter. When I hook the batterie up The starter wants to crank the motor over with out turning the key. Can any one help me to figure this out. Don't know what's really going on, Or would it be simpler just to wire in a push start button?
The truck is a 99 ranger and swapping in a carbed 351w, I have the rest of the wiring done and everything works.
Hey ford78......unfortunately I can't help on this yet as I am going thru a similar issue where I can't get signal from key to starter.

Basically, right now the starter is always on with key? Means it's getting two hot signals all the time. I'm thinking u need to trace back the blue n red wire that came from the tps or ignition....this what I am doing Saturday since I cut the tps harness off not thinking about the ignition :/.

sorry I don't have more to help out with just yet. If u beat me to it...please tell me hahah. If not I'll try Saturday n report back.

prymetime1

Reaction score
This is a pic of my original set up....I zoomed in and circled the wire I think is our starter signal......I hope this is it.

Let me know if that works bud.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Well I'm using the red/blue signal wire that comes out of the grey 16 pin connector . It in the middle of it . I traced all kinds of circuits out for my build on all data pro and coming from the ignition to the body bulk head c105 connector to the grey 16 connector on the plastic inner fender is a red/blue wire .hopefully that helps .

I just wanna go fast [emoji48]

prymetime1

Reaction score
Well I'm using the red/blue signal wire that comes out of the grey 16 pin connector . It in the middle of it . I traced all kinds of circuits out for my build on all data pro and coming from the ignition to the body bulk head c105 connector to the grey 16 connector on the plastic inner fender is a red/blue wire .hopefully that helps .

Hey dude, I am not sure but i am hoping the wire I circled is the one coming out of the 16pin connector u pulled your signal from. thing is I need to find the wire from the c105f connector that went TO the 16 pin connector and route that to my starter solinoid for key on signal. I still have that wire from the solinoid to reconnect.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
I'll look through my notes . I still need to make the spreadsheet with all the connections . Just havent had the time lately . I'll get one made soon though . I know from testing ignition start (turning key and test light ) . Signal came out the bulkhead connector which was red/blue . Once I check continuity between the connector and ignition switch . I traced out the circuit on the diagrams and it comes out at the grey connector . There should be a 16 pin black and a 16 pin grey connector along with I think a 8 pin and a couple 2 pin connectors . Most of my connection where either made on that grey connector or the bulkhead connector c105 . All my gauges work now also [emoji106]?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What year is the starter motor?

Older starter motors just started spinning when they were hooked to the battery, thats how you tested them, they used(needed) a Starter Relay on the fender, often called a starter solenoid(it isn't).
Battery cable was hooked to one large post of starter relay and starter motor was hooked to the other larger post.
The ignition key wire was hooked to the smaller "S" post on the starter relay.
When the "S" post got 12volts from ignition switch it would close the relay and send battery voltage/amps to starter motor.

In later models they moved the starter relay to the starter motor, and made it part of the starter solenoid.
On these you hook starter motor to battery cable via a power distribution post on the fender.
Starter won't spin because starter Relay on the starter motor is not passing battery power to motor.
There is a small "S" post on these that is hooked to ignition switch.

The "S" wire on Fords is usually Red/blue stripe, they used that color for many many years.
"S" wire will only have 12v when key is turn to START, and trans is in PARK/Neutral or clutch pedal is all the way in.

A solenoid is an electrical device that has the purpose of "moving something", on a starter motor it moves the starter gear into or away from the ring gear(flywheel/flexplate)
Pretty much all ford starter motors had solenoids, newer ones also have built-in relay
Some starters only used Bendix drives and didn't used solenoids.

A Relay is an electrical device that has the purpose of "passing power", usually higher amp power.

Solenoids and relays work exactly the same, coil of wire around a movable metal rod, when coil has power flowing thru it the rod moves, and in a relay this will close or open contacts, in a solenoid it will push or pull some lever.
The names are often used interchangeably, as long as you know what you mean it is hair splitting on my part, lol

Last edited:

prymetime1

Reaction score

Older starter motors just started spinning when they were hooked to the battery, thats how you tested them, they used(needed) a Starter Relay on the fender, often called a starter solenoid(it isn't).
Battery cable was hooked to one large post of starter relay and starter motor was hooked to the other larger post.
When the "S" post got 12volts from ignition switch it would close the relay and send battery voltage/amps to starter motor.

In later models they moved the starter relay to the starter motor, and made it part of the starter solenoid.
On these you hook starter motor to battery cable via a power distribution post on the fender.
Starter won't spin because starter Relay on the starter motor is not passing battery power to motor.

The "S" wire on Fords is usually Red/blue stripe, they used that color for many many years.
"S" wire will only have 12v when key is turn to START, and trans is in PARK/Neutral or clutch pedal is all the way in.

A solenoid is an electrical device that has the purpose of "moving something", on a starter motor is moves the starter gear into or away from the ring gear(flywheel/flexplate)
Pretty much all ford starter motors had solenoids, newer ones also have built-in relay

A Relay is an electrical device that has the purpose of "passing power", usually higher amp power.

Solenoids and relays work exactly the same, coil of wire around a movable metal rod, when coil has power flowing thru it the rod moves, and in a relay this will close or open contacts, in a solenoid it will push or pull some lever.
The names are often used interchangeably, as long as you know what you mean it is hair splitting on my part, lol
Awesome!!! Thanks RonD

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual

A solenoid is an electrical device that has the purpose of "moving something", on a starter motor is moves the starter gear into or away from the ring gear(flywheel/flexplate)

Thanks, I just didn't think I needed a starter relay since the 3.0 didn't have one. I'll pick one up tomorrow.
This really helps.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
RonD that's was a great explanation of the system .

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

There is no reason you can not use a newer starter motor(with built-in relay), on the 5.0l, so keep original '99 wiring and avoid adding the starter relay.
Not sure but I think a later model 5.0l(302) starter will have the same throw and gear as older one, but you would need to check that out.
Early '90's was when Ford started putting Relay into starter motors, I believe, my '94 has this kind

Last edited:

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual

There is no reason you can not use a newer starter motor(with built-in relay), on the 5.0l, so keep original '99 wiring and avoid adding the starter relay.
Not sure but I think a later model 5.0l(302) starter will have the same throw and gear as older one, but you would need to check that out.
Early '90's was when Ford started putting Relay into starter motors, I believe, my '94 has this kind
I already got a mini starter for it, I picked up a relay yesterday so I'll justwire the in. Thanks again for the detailed help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals