• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter Problem?

nbates55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1999 2.5 liter manual Truck has been starting fine til tonight. Lights and all worked but it would just give one click when I turned the key. Tried boosting it off, didnt seem to help at first but after several attempts it started fine. Took it to Oreillys auto parts where they tested the battery and said it was bad. Put a new one on it, nothing. So I had them put the old one back on it. Guy thought the starter was bad. I kinda suspected the safety switch on the clutch pedal. But it would click once when Id try it so I guess its getting juice to the starter. Looked at that safety switch and its nasty, grease running out of it and it slides up and down on the rod like maybe its broken? Anyway, tried it several times at the parts house and about the 6th try it fired up like a new one. So I went ahead and ordered a starter for it, $130.
How hard is this starter to change out and about how long will it take. Conditions are cold weather, and in my apartment complex parking lot.
Thanks!

nbates55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And what yall will think is a stupid question, but bear in mind that Im 54 years old and this is the first Ford I have ever owned. Which side is the starter on? Google reveals nothing. Ive replaced many starters on Chevys, even rebuilt them. But this Ford is all new to me. Thanks!

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If I recall, starter will be on the passenger side. Should be a piece of cake, 2 or 3 bolts plus the battery cable. I don't have a ton of experience with that particular application though.

I'd be suspicious of your battery cables though, especially the ground. Make sure its making good contact at the frame and block, as well as the battery.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ I agree with checking battery cables. They can be corroded under the insulation and cause the symptoms you describe. Also make sure all connections are clean and tight, both +ve and -ve are important to a circuit.

nbates55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I do intend to check the cables and wires before even taking the new starter out of the box. Had the battery cable loosen up at the solenoid on a Buick one time. It happens.
Thanks guys!

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
check all connections on back of starter prior to removal.. they could just be loose

nbates55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
About to call for tools to be brought. Yall know if they are Standard, Metric or both on this thing?

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

falcon61

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
nuts on starter maybe americ

nbates55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, the new starter is on. Wasnt too bad. Hour and a half. Would have been an hour but we didnt have any metric wrenches to take the wires off and on and had to sue a crescent wrench, with little room to work.
Old starter was a Duralast from Autozone. Put the Oreillys starter on it and all seems well. It spins much faster than the old one, even with my old battery.
Thanks for the input!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals