• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter Motor Spade Connector?

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
You might remember I broke a stud on my starter motor (Here's the thread) and soldered it back on. That worked for about six start ups and then something pulled on that wire and snapped the stud off again. I ordered a new solenoid from RockAuto and when it came, it did not have a stud connector but a spade connector as shown here.

The broken one for reference, you can see the place where the stud attached.

I found this thread explaining that Ford had an issue with the spade connector and provided a conversion kit to get to a stud. I have an eyelet connector on my wire, should I change it out or should I send my solenoid back to get a solenoid with a stud?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After reading the link, I would exchange it for the correct one.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
That soldered spade terminal looks more skookum than that welded stud.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would just drill the hole in spade larger and use small bolt to make it a stud :)

I like the spade better though, so I would change the wire end, never had a problem with any spade connection, outside of them being pulled off.

BUT(big but).............pulling off is a GOOD thing, the small studs don't just break one day, they get pulled and break, and you are S.O.L. until you can get it fixed.
With a spade you just plug it back in :)

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maybe just solder a spade on your old one and change the wire end?

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Looking back I probably should've clarified I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of each were. My truck is still dead, I went to get swap out the cable end and I discovered my battery cables are severely corroded down the entire line. So I get to build new battery cables this week in my spare time for extra fun when I'm not working or doing homework... When I do that, I'm just gonna throw a spade on there and be done with it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The spade can pull off if the wire gets stressed the wrong way, the stud can corrode and snap as you have already experienced. Those are the disadvantages to both.

If you are already building new cables just leave a bit of slack in the little one and it will be OK.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
One last question, is there anything important inside the black rubber on this thing? It runs from the positive terminal to a round white thing on the drivers side fender wall right next to the fuse box, (I would go out and look but my car is parked a half-mile away). My guess is it's idiot insurance so the terminals can't be installed backwards.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Just an insulator and a way to keep the cables in the right position. This was part of the problem that I was having with intermittent starts leading me to think the starter was pooched and that I had picked up gremlins.

I ended up cutting the connector out and running new wires and putting new connectors on mine and the problems all went away...along with replacing all the wires running to ground and the starter.

Never underestimate the necessity of good ground on that circuit.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Okay, it's still not working and I have no idea why. All I get is the click on the fender mounted relay I have a brand new battery (and fully charged, we even tried jumping it), brand new cables, and everything is hooked up correctly as far as I can tell (I'll post pictures of the wiring when I have time). My friend and I left it for the next day and when we came back the battery was dead (0.33 volts). We got a new one on warranty and tried again, same problem. The fender relay was working, but when I went underneath the car to check the starter mounted solenoid it was so hot it burned my hand! We disconnected the battery and removed the starter then removed the solenoid from the starter and it's got a wonderful burnt plastic smell around the plunger area with this orangish oily substance coming out of it. I looked at my wiring diagrams everything seemed to be right, I've got one side of the fender solenoid with the "spade" connector wire running down to the starter with the black/orange wire for the alternator and some other black wire on that same stud of the solenoid. The second largest wire coming off the battery is hooked up to the other post of the solenoid like it was before and the solenoid is clicking when we turn the key. When the solenoid clicks, the wiper blades stop moving BUT the headlights and cab lights do not dim. I am completely lost so I'm just dumping as much information as I can right now and will post pictures of my wiring as soon as I can.

EDIT: I'm not sure I'm not the "idiot" Ford was trying to insure me against with that black rubber thing.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals