• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Replaced starter and alternator, what do I do now?

signorgreenleaf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE:
So I ended up getting new battery terminals (zinc) because one of them broke when I over tightened. I also brushed the cables until the wire was close to copper colored and that got it working! Everything was good to go for a good month or so. Just a couple days ago I got the single click thing again. This time I have new terminals, plus the wire is somewhat clean, and the starter is about a month or so old.
I took my battery to the store and they said it had a low charge but still good. I left it there to charge when I came back the guy said it was overcharged. I still took it and tried it. No go.
So I bought a new battery and still nothing. Oh and by the way, I put a multimeter on my old battery while it was still connected to the car. and it read 12.36
I just rechecked my old batt today (not connected to truck) and it reads 12.48 now.

So I was thinking it was the alternator. I bought a new one replaced it and still nothing. :(
I took the old alternator to the store and they did say it was no good though.

So now im just lost. I just wanna get my damn truck home lol
Any help is appreciated guys!

EDIT: this is what my current dash looks like (before turning completely) before AND after I changed the alternator.

Attachments

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Look closely at your battery cables, the terminal ends and especially for corrosion hiding inside the insulation.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the single "click" means there is enough amps to activated the starter relay, which needs 0.5 amps
Starter motor needs 60amps, so.............

The 60 amps needs to travel from battery positive to battery negative, so either cable can prevent the flow of amps THRU starter motor

Since tapping on old motor got it to work I would say its brushes are worn out, so it can test as OK but will be intermittent until it fails completely
So new starter motor would be best, or carry a hammer

There are 2 wires on 1997 starter, the larger battery positive cable that needs to carry the 60 amps and the smaller "S" post wire that activates the starter solenoid on top of the starter motor

There can be 2 smaller posts on a starter solenoid, only one will activate the starter, it will have a "S" next to it

Last edited:

signorgreenleaf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the single "click" means there is enough amps to activated the starter relay, which needs 0.5 amps
Starter motor needs 60amps, so.............

The 60 amps needs to travel from battery positive to battery negative, so either cable can prevent the flow of amps THRU starter motor

Since tapping on old motor got it to work I would say its brushes are worn out, so it can test as OK but will be intermittent until it fails completely
So new starter motor would be best, or carry a hammer

There are 2 wires on 1997 starter, the larger battery positive cable that needs to carry the 60 amps and the smaller "S" post wire that activates the starter solenoid on top of the starter motor

There can be 2 smaller posts on a starter solenoid, only one will activate the starter, it will have a "S" next to it
so I tried to start it again this morning and it turned on smoothly
I took the old starter to the store and they said it was donezo
But when I tried to leave it won’t turn on again :/
So now I’m just out here.. lol

I took a pic of the battery posts
I’m not sure how to check the rest atm

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Your picture shows universal battery cable replacement ends, and they're not new. It would be worth the time to clean these; it should be part of regular maintenance anyway and it may likely fix your "no start" condition.

Get you a round battery terminal brush, and a stiff wire brush (like shaped like a tooth brush).

>>> On my older trucks, I ALWAYS remove the negative terminal from the battery first, and reconnect it last.

On each cable end remove the two bolts, and the top plate over the wire ends. Brush the cable wire strands until all of them are shiny copper color. You can "fan" the strands to reach everywhere on them, and you can retwist them back round with pliers. Also brush the bottom of the plate and the cable end wire groove. Then reassemble the cable end back into the terminal and top plate, Tighten the plate bolts, but be careful that you don't strip 'em out.

Now take the round terminal brush and clean up the battery post, and the inside of the cable end.

Reconnect the cable ends to the battery posts, negative last. You already have felt washers, which help prevent corrosion, and you can smear some dielectric grease on the cable ends to also help prevent corrosion.

There's a good chance this might fix the problem you're having, and cleaning the cable ends won't be a waste of time.

signorgreenleaf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Your picture shows universal battery cable replacement ends, and they're not new. It would be worth the time to clean these; it should be part of regular maintenance anyway and it may likely fix your "no start" condition.

Get you a round battery terminal brush, and a stiff wire brush (like shaped like a tooth brush).

>>> On my older trucks, I ALWAYS remove the negative terminal from the battery first, and reconnect it last.

On each cable end remove the two bolts, and the top plate over the wire ends. Brush the cable wire strands until all of them are shiny copper color. You can "fan" the strands to reach everywhere on them, and you can retwist them back round with pliers. Also brush the bottom of the plate and the cable end wire groove. Then reassemble the cable end back into the terminal and top plate, Tighten the plate bolts, but be careful that you don't strip 'em out.

Now take the round terminal brush and clean up the battery post, and the inside of the cable end.

Reconnect the cable ends to the battery posts, negative last. You already have felt washers, which help prevent corrosion, and you can smear some dielectric grease on the cable ends to also help prevent corrosion.

There's a good chance this might fix the problem you're having, and cleaning the cable ends won't be a waste of time.
So I ended up getting new battery terminals (zinc) because one of them broke when I over tightened. I also brushed the cables until the wire was close to copper colored and that got it working! Everything was good to go for a good month or so. Just a couple days ago I got the single click thing again. This time I have new terminals, plus the wire is somewhat clean, and the starter is about a month or so old.
I took my battery to the store and they said it had a low charge but still good. I left it there to charge when I came back the guy said it was overcharged. I still took it and tried it. No go.
So I bought a new battery and still nothing. Oh and by the way, I put a multimeter on my old battery while it was still connected to the car. and it read 12.36
I just rechecked my old batt today (not connected to truck) and it reads 12.48 now.

So I was thinking it was the alternator. I bought a new one replaced it and still nothing. :(
I took the old alternator to the store and they did say it was no good though.

So now im just lost. I just wanna get my damn truck home lol
Any help is appreciated guys!

EDIT: this is what my current dash looks like (before turning completely) before AND after I changed the alternator.

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Why....why would you buy an alternator?

Did you ground it with the jumper cables to the frame? This sounds like a continuity issue...often it's the frame and engine side of the ground.....but if you have a dual relay setup...it can get hooked up wrong or have a bad connection.

What you want to do if it has the small solonoid wire on the starter and fender, is run a a small jumper right from the starter side up to the hot on the battery... If it works well....the fender relay may be bad.....clunking but boogered on the contactor bad....or the small wire is corroded internally..or broken..from there to the starter solo.....put the jumper from the starter to the fender lug and try the key...if it goes....you found it.

Use the battery jumper cables right on the engine to the ground side of the battery first....as it is easiest...

signorgreenleaf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I dunno, because im a novice?

im not sure what you mean by "Did you ground it with the jumper cables to the frame"

my starter is only accessible from the bottom are you suggesting I run a jumper cable from down there?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No
When you use jumper cables you usually hook Positive to Positive on the batteries
Then hook negative jumper cable to vehicles bare metal, like an engine bracket
You can go negative to negative on battery terminals

But if, say the Ground cable to your engine block was corroded or marginal, you would have the same issue of a no crank
Hooking jumper to the engine directly just takes that off the table

In a DC circuit BOTH positive and negative have to pass the same AMPs
A starter motor needs 60amps at least
So positive cable needs to pass 60 amps to the starter motor, then that 60amps passes thru the starter motor and back to the battery on the negative cable, this is why BOTH cables are so large
If negative cable can only pass, say 10amps, then no starter motor, lights and other systems would work fine, but no starter motor

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I mean to ...with the solid battery...ground the engine right to the battery negative...and if necessary the large end on the starter hot side to the positive with the red side.

Then using a small jumper....start cranking

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Pictures of starter and relay wiring?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals