• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter Issue ( this may relate to you all)

tlcasey100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 Ranger with a 2.9 liter v6 and the bendix drive likes to hang up in the flywheel. I have changed the bendix from the 9 tooth to a 10 tooth gear and the problem still persists plus now it will only engage when it likes to. Is there a starter brand that changes this or something about the flywheel or what? The starter has been changed twice in about 6 months and it wont go away. If it something else that makes it happen I need to know. I have a 4 speed manual withe OD if that helps. thank you all for any help

Timothy Casey

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you have a 4-speed manual OD trans it sounds like you have a different transmission swapped in. Are you sure you are getting the correct starters?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They show the same starter from 1983 - 1991 for both the 2.8L and the 2.9L. The problem I had with my starter was that the threads in the bell housing were stripped out. So I had to drill the holes through, use longer bolts, and grind down some flange nuts to fit on the back of the bolt.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like it would have been easier to use a helicoil.

They show the same starter from 1983 - 1991 for both the 2.8L and the 2.9L. The problem I had with my starter was that the threads in the bell housing were stripped out. So I had to drill the holes through, use longer bolts, and grind down some flange nuts to fit on the back of the bolt.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
What caused it to fall out?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The motor mounts are shot, and the helicoils that were in it just kinda pulled out due to all the vibrations. Although i'm pretty good at pulling the starter in and out now, since I've had to do it enough times.

What caused it to fall out?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Yeah, I know. That was more of a veiled shot at his incorrect designation of his transmission. There wasn't a 4-speed OD manual trans in any Ranger for 1990.

First check the block plate and flywheel teeth for damage or visible wear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals