• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter gear problem

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been having starter problems and need to know if anyone here has use the 10 (ten) tooth gear on their 2.8 with 5 speed transmission.

I'm on my third starter in about six months; they work at first, then they get noisy and eventually just spin.
I have replaced the flywheel, but ordered a new one and before attacking this mess, I have heard that the 10 tooth is the proper gear, but the ones I have on hand are 9 tooth - I don't have the one that has been in there for about ten years with no problems until the end.

TimR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the problem is, all the auto parts say there is no difference in the automatic starter... BS. Get a Reman, from Ford, it is the only option, unless you get the nose cone off of an original stick starter. the nose rotation is off by about a 1/4".

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Im running a starter off an auto tranny on my manual tranny, TK4, if that helps any. But I am running an 85 flywheel, bellhouse and internal slave too on my 84 engine all in front of an 83 tranny.

If I do get a new one, I go to autozone and get one with a LLT warrenty on it and Im good to go.

TimR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yup, as long as you don't mind changing them every week or so... lol

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice tips - except that I do have a Ford re-manufactured starter with the same problem as before. Autozone gives a great warantee on paper - bought one from them right around the corner from where I broke down the first time and they WOULD NOT give me back my money; guy said I need a recipient for the one I bought elsewhere to replace their junk part. (had the same problem with a brake booster, but took another chance because it was in walking distance)

One lesson that I learned is not to get the core charge until after the new part works for a while.

I'll look into the auto trans starter situation.

TimR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice tips - except that I do have a Ford re-manufactured starter with the same problem as before. Autozone gives a great warantee on paper - bought one from them right around the corner from where I broke down the first time and they WOULD NOT give me back my money; guy said I need a recipient for the one I bought elsewhere to replace their junk part. (had the same problem with a brake booster, but took another chance because it was in walking distance)

One lesson that I learned is not to get the core charge until after the new part works for a while.

I'll look into the auto trans starter situation.
And you told Ford it was a Stick? They should know better...

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
My autozone keeps all the warrenty stuff in there computer system. Had to replace a coil and dura-box a few months back and all they did was look it up and say ok. All I had to do was give back the one that I bought from them.

user111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a automatic and had starter problems, finally I learn that I needed a spacer. I forget now but there is a way to check alingment of Starter gear to flywheel gear, Check out how the the starter gear engages flywheel. Auto zone does seem to have good rebuilt starters now as I got my last one there ...and also the spacer. I regret I lost the information on how to check alignment of Starter gear to Flywheel.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
An update. I put in a ten tooth gear and everything was fine except that I also replaced the solenoid with the 'best' that O'Rielly has. The made in China solenoid stuck once; a junk-yard genuine Ford part is better.

I just put in a new fly-wheel and original 9-tooth starter and will see how this works. Unfortunately, this is a China flywheel too. We shall see, but for now it is fine.

FYI: The starter can only go on one way and the clearance is determined by the rear engine plate and when I bolted it to the transmission bell-housing, it didn't make more than a couple thousandths of difference. Some Fords could use a flywheel shim, but not these Rangers.
Auto and stick starters are the same from the parts stores. If there is a difference from the factory, it would be slight if any. I held an auto and a stick starter-drive together and didn't see and difference - but I didn't use a micrometer to see if there were any measurable differences.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals