• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

starter alignment trouble

dirtracer115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 91 ranger with a 65 ford 289 in it, im using a mustang ii C4, not sure exactly what year it came out of but the mustang 2 i got it out of had been converted to a V8. i am sure it is the M2 version because of the smaller bellhousing which fits much better in the ranger

since the first time i fired up the motor in the truck i have had starter issues, the original starter was a PMGR starter so it would fit not only the 2 bolt housing but the very tight space between it and the dual sump oil pan

because of poor idle the starter bolts cause loose going down the road and broke the bendix in the starter, i replaced it with the 4banger starter i had on hand and it turns over fine but it slips badly after a couple turns of the engine, or wont engage at all

ford starters ive never heard of having to shim, i was pretty sure that was a GM thing, but i was wondering if anyone has had this problem or has an off the wall idea cause ive tried the common sense solutions, tightening the bolts, trying to wiggle the starter around to see if there was a better position it could bolt too, tried to shim it with washers, and the problem starts again soon after. i have also noticed it gets worse after it has been warmed up or ran recently but i contributed that to built up compression being a new engine with new rings and seals

any ideas will be appreciated, $500 ranger with a built 1965 289 no fun to show off in if i cant get it to crank when i need it too

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Is the engine block plate present between the engine block and the bellhousing ? As far as starter bolts, use lock washers. Never had em back out of an engine, cam or no cam. The block plate is what indexes the starter to the flexplate

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Small block Ford starters came with at least 2 different nose projections, 2" and 2 3/8" IIRC. For the Bendix gear to engage properly, you need the correct combination of starter, bellhousing and flywheel/flexplate.

dirtracer115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i didnt know they had different nose lengths because it sounded like the pmgr starter would go out far enough to get a good bite

but after it acting up the past 2 weeks i checked it and decided the flywheel deff needs replaced now so after i change it ill check it out and see if it helps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals