• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Started without oil.

Marlinmahi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I'm at the mechanics waiting for them to install an a4ld from a junkyard because they couldn't get my old transmission to go into reverse after 4 tries, thats in and out 4 times over 5 weeks. And I went in there to get overdrive fixed not reverse. Reverse worked fine when I gave it to them. But my question is about oil. While the transmission was out i had them replace a leaking oil pan gasket.. They replaced the oil pan gasket after ordering the wrong gasket twice. It takes the worm gasket.. who knew. Anyway. I'm standing in the office watching them start the truck to put in transmission fluid when I ask the service manager if they put oil in the engine. Off he runs and from the reaction of the mechanic I could tell no that hadn't. My question is will 45 to 60 sec of no oil kill my 4.0 with 246000miles?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It might not kill it but it certainly didn't help it either. I'd want something in writing saying they'll cover any engine damage for a period of time. That guy isn't a mechanic, he's the kind of dub Jiffy Lube hires.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yup, I'd want it in writing that they effed up and when the engine blows they are responsible. It doesn't take long for an engine to die without oil...

Oldman57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
With all the problems I would find another shop

Marlinmahi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Turns out that the guy lied to me about the test drive today. He took it out after they got the junkyard trany in and came back and said the overdrive light was blinking. 94's dont have a od light. He just dosen't want to give me the truck untill monday after the bank returns the credit card refund he gave me. He told me that he refunded my 1600 because he now wants cash. Its saterday and the bank is closed. I called him and told him not to touch the car again. Thats when he said it was a loose wire and its fixed and runs perfect now, but pick it up monday.
I dont have faith in an engine with 246000 miles that ran for a full minute with no oil. Not to mention i paid 1600 for a rebuild of my trany and ended up with a junkyard replacement. I think its time to go to court. And that sucks.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Turns out that the guy lied to me about the test drive today. He took it out after they got the junkyard trany in and came back and said the overdrive light was blinking. 94's dont have a od light. He just dosen't want to give me the truck untill monday after the bank returns the credit card refund he gave me. He told me that he refunded my 1600 because he now wants cash. Its saterday and the bank is closed. I called him and told him not to touch the car again. Thats when he said it was a loose wire and its fixed and runs perfect now, but pick it up monday.
I dont have faith in an engine with 246000 miles that ran for a full minute with no oil. Not to mention i paid 1600 for a rebuild of my trany and ended up with a junkyard replacement. I think its time to go to court. And that sucks.
Tell him you're gonna use the 1600 you were gonna pay him to replace the motor he damaged...

Marlinmahi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
They still have my truck. I don't think they will return it unless I pay the 1600

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
They still have my truck. I don't think they will return it unless I pay the 1600
Yea it sucks you will probably have to get a lawyer involved. $1600 is an absolutely absurd price for a junkyard trans regardless. Transmission shouldn't have been more than a few hundred and maybe $400-500 to swap it so about half what they are trying to charge.

Also threaten to file a complaint with the BBB and every other website known to man...

All mechanics screw up sometimes, it's how they handle it that determines how good they are. If I were working on it I would have eaten the loss and not lied about it.

Marlinmahi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, I think its time to lawyer up. Do I pay the 1600 and get the truck back. Its been 5 weeks. I need it to get to work, wife ain't to happy I'm still driving her car leaving her stuck at the house. And should I not drive the truck if I do get it back?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
At this point I would definitely be getting a lawyer. Get your info in order- every contact and every known event with the incompetent mechanic listed with details, copies of anything put in writing, and then shop multiple lawyers if you don't have one already that you trust. Good luck, I hope that you're able to come out OK in all of this.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
A lawyer in small claims court?

There is a reason they have small claims court... so lawyers don't eat up all of the money being disputed. I think it's $5k or less for small claims.

Aside from the problems getting the transmission fixed... why would they refund you your credit card payment and want a cash payment? The only thing I can think of is they figure you will dispute the charge and the credit card company will reverse the charge.

Something just doesn't seem right in this never ending transmission story...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Yes, I think its time to lawyer up. Do I pay the 1600 and get the truck back. Its been 5 weeks. I need it to get to work, wife ain't to happy I'm still driving her car leaving her stuck at the house. And should I not drive the truck if I do get it back?
How much do you think a lawyer will cost? Probably at least a $500 retainer and half of anything you win in court. So lets say you win in court... the full $1600. It cost you $1300 to get $300.

You already paid the money once and it was refunded. If you don't pay it... he will put a lien on you truck and start charging you storage and eventually end up with a mechanics title and own your truck.

I would just pay it... and take the truck. See if it is actually fixed. Then proceed logically and rationally on what your next steps will be.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
At this point ask yourself *how much is a near 30 year old truck with a boatload of miles worth to you* ?

If you've been refunded all of what was charged to you then you're out nothing, but what is the trucks value to you?

if you were to try to sell it tomorrow in the condition it was in before you went to the garage what would you get for it?

Marlinmahi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The money he refunded is still not in my bank account. And he texted me a picture of the invoice. He now wants 1850 in cash for me to get the truck back. Ill pay it to get my truck back. Ive yelped and google reviewed. And ill have to either eat it or go to small claims court. Its probably just not worth the time money or stress.
Beware of A C salvage in ft.pierce florida. :mad:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals