• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stang ecoboost into 98 standard cab

HAWGFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
wondering if theres a thread about dointhe ecoboost swap into 93-11 manual shift trucks.. Is it feasible? what are the headache? any custom made parts needed? Also wondering if anyone has lowered a 98 standard cab and what kit was used, not going slammed..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know a guy did a 2.0 Ecoboost into I think a 2002 Ranger, he has it in his name.

@bobbywalter has done a fair amount of research on it too I think (he isn't on super often though)

EDIT:

HERE

MORE BABBLE HERE

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
That should run strong and get good mileage if you have the budget to do it.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
-A 01-03 Duratec truck is the easiest starting point since they're the same basic engine as the Ecoboost.
-But the Ecoboost turbo is in a bad spot, that interferes with the Ranger HVAC, so you have to eliminate the HVAC or modify the plenum.
-And the high pressure fuel pump sticks too far off the back of the head, which means you get to move the engine forward a few inches or cut up your firewall.
-The ecoboost never had a hydraulic power steering pump, so not sure if the duratec pump could be mounted to the Ecoboost, or if you'd need either electric power steering or full manual steering.
-Then you get to the electronics. No amount of tuning is going to make the factory Ranger PCM capable of handling the direct injection of the Ecoboost. Ford sold a control pack for the 2.0 at one time, but I'm not sure if they've ever done one for the 2.3, or how common they might be. That leaves you with the option of using the Mustang stuff, but there are tons of can-bus modules that need to communicate with each other to function, so you'd have to either incorporate all of the Mustang electronics into the Ranger, or be very good at manipulating can-bus signals.

You could boost a regular old duratec much more easily and get 90-95% of the Ecoboost performance in less time, with less complexity.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
-A 01-03 Duratec truck is the easiest starting point since they're the same basic engine as the Ecoboost.
-But the Ecoboost turbo is in a bad spot, that interferes with the Ranger HVAC, so you have to eliminate the HVAC or modify the plenum.
-And the high pressure fuel pump sticks too far off the back of the head, which means you get to move the engine forward a few inches or cut up your firewall.
-The ecoboost never had a hydraulic power steering pump, so not sure if the duratec pump could be mounted to the Ecoboost, or if you'd need either electric power steering or full manual steering.
-Then you get to the electronics. No amount of tuning is going to make the factory Ranger PCM capable of handling the direct injection of the Ecoboost. Ford sold a control pack for the 2.0 at one time, but I'm not sure if they've ever done one for the 2.3, or how common they might be. That leaves you with the option of using the Mustang stuff, but there are tons of can-bus modules that need to communicate with each other to function, so you'd have to either incorporate all of the Mustang electronics into the Ranger, or be very good at manipulating can-bus signals.

You could boost a regular old duratec much more easily and get 90-95% of the Ecoboost performance in less time, with less complexity.

The member that did the front drive 2.0 platform swap did some things out of expediency.

The hvac is not an issue with experience and patience. It's just not.

Using the oem wiring and pcm with the 4 whixxer stang ecoboost has been a non issue for at least 5 years that I know of.

Making the systems turnkey via pats displacement is a simple matter of money.

A turnkey used mustang ecoboost swap is 4800 to 5500.

The point of the ecoboost is maximum driveability with low rpm power and excellent emissions. No conventionally turbocharged engine can touch them.

Problem with my application. Young bob seems to have more of a desire for a coyote in the bronco 2 then the ecoboost I want to install.

That was a honest unforseen snag in my plans.

So.....it is at a impass at the moment.

I prefer the 2.3 ecoboost and at this point a complete modern ranger powertrain with trail control seems a no brainer.

My primary house renovations are nearly complete.....just need to get a job that allows more time at home.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The member that did the front drive 2.0 platform swap did some things out of expediency.

The hvac is not an issue with experience and patience. It's just not.

Using the oem wiring and pcm with the 4 whixxer stang ecoboost has been a non issue for at least 5 years that I know of.

Making the systems turnkey via pats displacement is a simple matter of money.

A turnkey used mustang ecoboost swap is 4800 to 5500.

The point of the ecoboost is maximum driveability with low rpm power and excellent emissions. No conventionally turbocharged engine can touch them.

Problem with my application. Young bob seems to have more of a desire for a coyote in the bronco 2 then the ecoboost I want to install.

That was a honest unforseen snag in my plans.

So.....it is at a impass at the moment.

I prefer the 2.3 ecoboost and at this point a complete modern ranger powertrain with trail control seems a no brainer.

My primary house renovations are nearly complete.....just need to get a job that allows more time at home.

I can only base my assessments on what has been done, and some SWAG based on some rough measurements and things that others have looked into for turbocharging the base Duratec. I'd love to see a cleaner Ecoboost swap in a Ranger with factory functionality, but that's not a thing yet as far as I know.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I can only base my assessments on what has been done, and some SWAG based on some rough measurements and things that others have looked into for turbocharging the base Duratec. I'd love to see a cleaner Ecoboost swap in a Ranger with factory functionality, but that's not a thing yet as far as I know.

To be clear, the eco swaps are likely going into older stang's and miatas and stuff like that. I have seen several companies selling turn key stuff. My favorite is mars in Ohio. They must have a direct connection with brooks...

On edit.....there has been a 2.7 powered biscayne prowling around Louisiana since sometime in 17.. I think hotwires did the harness and program on that.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To be clear, the eco swaps are likely going into older stang's and miatas and stuff like that. I have seen several companies selling turn key stuff. My favorite is mars in Ohio. They must have a direct connection with brooks...

On edit.....there has been a 2.7 powered biscayne prowling around Louisiana since sometime in 17.. I think hotwires did the harness and program on that.
Yeah, I have no doubts that ecoboost swaps into other chassis are happening more and more. It's usually done by shops, or skilled people that use expensive kits developed by shops. Ranger's don't have those kits as an option like the Foxbody crowd, and most Ranger owners aren't going to spend $10k+ on a swap at a shop the way that a vintage Mustang owner might.

I'm not against Ecoboost engines, I just think that they require too many compromises to swap into a Ranger at this time relative to some other options.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Without knowing the specifics I would think if a kit existed to swap into something as crude as a foxbody it would be easily adapted to a Ranger.

I basically have a foxbody V8 in my Ranger...

$$ imo is the big thing, Rangers are all getting old too as far as dumping a ton of money in one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals