• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stand alone wiring harness for the 4.0

zuki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
suzuki
Transmission
Automatic
is there any company that makes a stand alone wiring harness for a 4.0?

background:

i have swapped a 4.0 into my samurai, and have run this combo for many years. it is awesome. but last run i hit a huge bump going kinda fast, and the thing quit. keeps shorting out the ignition fuse in the power block. i cannot find a short. not sure what the problem is. i have pulled the whole wiring harness out of the vehical and still cannot find any wires that are shorting out. this just sucks.

anyway i thought about find another junkyard wiring harness/computer/etc, but if there is an aftermarket stand alone wiring harness i would like to consider that. it would be nice to only have the wires in the engine compartment that were needed to run the motor, and not all that other crap. i have cut out as much as i could that i felt was unnecesarry, but to tell you the truth, i really don't understand fuel injection, so i am sure there is a bunch of stuff i really don't need yet in there. the samurai has a very small engine compartment, so all those extra wires are really inritating. when it comes to working on it, i do miss the simplicity of the carbed 2.8 i use to run. i don't miss the lack of power or the lack of relibitily of the 2.8 though.

anyway any thoughts would be appreated.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Dude.....I'd make you a wiring harness. I've had 2 93-94 4.0 harnesses apart and these are dirt simple.....compared to others anyway.

I'm actually in the process of converting my 94' 3.0 from TFI distributor ignition to EDIS6 from the same year 4.0. Easy peasy.

Seriously though......PM me with how you have your engine compartment set up, engine trans combo, year of engine, etc. and maybe we can work something out.

zuki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
suzuki
Transmission
Automatic
Dude.....I'd make you a wiring harness. I've had 2 93-94 4.0 harnesses apart and these are dirt simple.....compared to others anyway.

I'm actually in the process of converting my 94' 3.0 from TFI distributor ignition to EDIS6 from the same year 4.0. Easy peasy.

Seriously though......PM me with how you have your engine compartment set up, engine trans combo, year of engine, etc. and maybe we can work something out.
thanks alot, but i got it figured out.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So what was it?
Richard

zuki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
suzuki
Transmission
Automatic
So what was it?
Richard
not sure, i pulled the entire wiring harness and went thru it. i had a couple of connections that were questionable, nothing really that looked to be the issue though. anyway, i fixed up the questionable connections, and put it back in, and no issues since.

Ceriggin

Reaction score

Are you still willing to do stand alone wiring harness for 93 ranger 4.0

newera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Transmission
Automatic
is there any company that makes a stand alone wiring harness for a 4.0?

background:

i have swapped a 4.0 into my samurai, and have run this combo for many years. it is awesome. but last run i hit a huge bump going kinda fast, and the thing quit. keeps shorting out the ignition fuse in the power block. i cannot find a short. not sure what the problem is. i have pulled the whole wiring harness out of the vehical and still cannot find any wires that are shorting out. this just sucks.

anyway i thought about find another junkyard wiring harness/computer/etc, but if there is an aftermarket stand alone wiring harness i would like to consider that. it would be nice to only have the wires in the engine compartment that were needed to run the motor, and not all that other crap. i have cut out as much as i could that i felt was unnecesarry, but to tell you the truth, i really don't understand fuel injection, so i am sure there is a bunch of stuff i really don't need yet in there. the samurai has a very small engine compartment, so all those extra wires are really inritating. when it comes to working on it, i do miss the simplicity of the carbed 2.8 i use to run. i don't miss the lack of power or the lack of relibitily of the 2.8 though.

anyway any thoughts would be appreated.
who make the 4ltr stand alone wires pete 3133086734

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.

I'd buy a new ranger harness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7 in
Tire Size
I need help I will take photos when I go home at lunch of all the connections but I'm trying to put a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 in a 86 Ranger that had a 2.9 and I am lost on where to make my connections I'd rather not use the power distribution box because I won't need anything but the distributorless ignition and coils an computer and that sort of stuff. everything else all the other stuff in that fuse boxe Is not going to be carried over

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7 in
Tire Size
I need help I will take photos when I go home at lunch of all the connections but I'm trying to put a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 in a 86 Ranger that had a 2.9 and I am lost on where to make my connections I'd rather not use the power distribution box because I won't need anything but the distributorless ignition and coils an computer and that sort of stuff. everything else all the other stuff in that fuse boxe Is not going to be carried over
Yeah I would too! Well depending on the price, you might not be as poor as I am. But I have looked. where do I find one?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
you're going to need a 91 to 94 explorer or 90 to 92 ranger engine wiring harness, you're also going to need the computer, sensors, and injectors from the same vehicle. the 2000 ranger has the computer in the wrong place, uses a returnless fuel system and has a bunch of other emissions related stuff that you just don't need. Using the older stuff will greatly reduce the amount of work you're going to need to do to get it running right.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7 in
Tire Size
so I use the two thousand model engine replace the injectors with those out of a 92 and use the 92 wiring harness and computer? is that all I need to make it plug and play? my 2000 doner might be slightly different its an early 2000s.
it does have a regulator & return on the fuel system but none of the fuel system stuff will be carried over already have a fully functional electronic fuel injection set up in place. & definitely leaving all the emissions junk behind as well. not planning on going to California any time ever lol. so would the air inlet tubing and filter box from a 92 line up with that motor correctly? so I wouldn't have to swap my battery to the other side? are those the only differences?

Kyle_lankford

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual

Do you still make harnesses for the 4.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals