• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stalling

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I took my truck into local repair shop to have things checked out. The mechanic checked everything out including checked for vacuum leaks and said everything checked out ok. He said to take it to the dealer and have Ford TSB 10-12-9 done to reprogram the PCM. I'm going to make an appointment to have this done and hopefully this fixes it.

Update: Talked to the dealer, and they suggested taking off the Jet Performance Module first and drive it for a few weeks and see if that's it. If the problem still exists then bring it in for the TSB re-flash at a cost of $100.

Last edited:

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Update:
I removed Jet Performance Module and problem went away, no more stalling. I sent module back to Jet to be tested for a problem and got it back with a note saying "no problem found". I called to get the details and tech support said they checked everything out to see if printed circuit board might be bad and checked all the software and everything checked out ok. He said the module for the 2.3L will pick up 12-13 hp on premium fuel. I decided to leave it off since the truck runs fine without it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Some 2.3l Lima and all 2.3l Mazda L Duratec engines had higher compression ratios so had to have Knock sensors so they could run on Regular gas(87 octane) or they would ping/knock
Just running Premium gas, 91/93 octane, should get you more power, because knock sensor will not detect pinging which causes computer to advance spark, which lowers power.

4.0l SOHC was the same way.

All gasoline, 87 to 93 octane has the same amount of energy/power stored, but when compression ratios get up to 9.4:1 and higher, 87 can start to self-ignite, ping/knock, under load as cylinders heat up.
So on higher compression engines you won't get rated horse power on regular gas, just on higher octane

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals