• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stalling , changed dpfe, cleaned egr valve, new iac, new tps

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
I have a stalling issue. My truck was beginning to rev up and down, mostly down, and sounds like its guzzling and then dies, or jumps back up on throttle. My tps is only 1 year , my iac is 1 year, I just changed my DPFE sensor, I just cleaned the egr and re installed it....the solenoid to the egr is about a year too. I can smell exhaust near the front of the truck, but I think I just have a subtle leak in my exhaust manifold ( pretty much a 2 year old exhaust system) . Im stumped. I just stalled out 3 or 4 times while driving home from work, one was a scary stall right out of the intersection into the side of the road I stalled and had no power brakes, my lights were on. I went to turn the key it wasnt wanting to start,it was turning over but no start. Do you guys think this can be spark plugs? Alternator? Battery? Its weird. I hooked my voltmeter up to the battery and its charging at 14.2 volts while on , the battery while off was at a strong 12 . 3 or so. I didnt notice any strange fluctuations when running it an hour later in idle. Im stumped. I had a few codes pop up days ago but after changing my dpfe, nothing but a p0172 popped up. I havent changed my egr valve, i cleaned it though. My spark plugs are gapped a little more on 2 of the sparks, I installed all new plugs a year ago. what should I DO? I also had one code po122 a day ago that said low circuit voltage to TPS, but that im not sure if was from bumping the plug while checking everything

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ok lots to unpack here. First a "subtle leak" from the exhaust manifold is not a good thing. It causes the o2 sensors to read improperly.

You have a rich condition code, p0172 bank 1, im guessing thats probably the side with the exhaust leak. So you need to address the leak before moving on. Rich running can cause stalling issues.

P0122 is the TPS which can cause stalling issues, did that code go away? Did you do anything to address it? Just because the TPS is only a year old doesn't mean it's good, properly adjusted, or the connection is not shorted or corroded. Check that out.

Lastly 12.3 is not a strong battery. It's a dying battery. Start shopping for a new one. It's "probably" not related to the stalling but worth mentioning.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
Ok lots to unpack here. First a "subtle leak" from the exhaust manifold is not a good thing. It causes the o2 sensors to read improperly.

You have a rich condition code, p0172 bank 1, im guessing thats probably the side with the exhaust leak. So you need to address the leak before moving on. Rich running can cause stalling issues.

P0122 is the TPS which can cause stalling issues, did that code go away? Did you do anything to address it? Just because the TPS is only a year old doesn't mean it's good, properly adjusted, or the connection is not shorted or corroded. Check that out.

Lastly 12.3 is not a strong battery. It's a dying battery. Start shopping for a new one. It's "probably" not related to the stalling but worth mentioning.
I just tried testing my TPS, I have broken wire insulation on the ground and signal wire, I need to replace the connector. I havent had time to do much I work all day its dark out and cold. Ill do this tommorrow though.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
The exhaust thing is either normal or just in your head. Sounds to me like a vacuum leak. If your manifold is cracked, weld it shut. Good throttle feather skills will help with the stalling until further diagnosis.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
The exhaust thing is either normal or just in your head. Sounds to me like a vacuum leak. If your manifold is cracked, weld it shut. Good throttle feather skills will help with the stalling until further diagnosis.
Ive been feathering it . I think my truck engine has dimensia like Joe Biden

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Be on the look out for a demented ranger...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals