• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

!st gen Compartment locks

John Smith

Reaction score
I posted this in the B2 forum..but it maybe should've gone here for response..if the mod needs to delete my other one please do...

"Hi there it seems like the B2's have generally 3 small storage compartments in the passenger area walls. Evidently these small compartments "lock" using the door key. If you have a console, it seems to use the same key to lock as well. My question is "how to remove the lock cylinder" which will allow these to be switched, traded, or in my case changing the paint trim color w/o the lock installed. I've searched and can't seem to find the answer here...It has to be simple...and i have a personal quest to get up to speed with this today...

It seems that at least in the first Gen b2's, they share the door key on all of these small locks...something that would be good to know when buying a new "used" piece of trim....

thanks for any help here...btw...don't throw any of these away, they may have a little value..along with your matching door keys...and locks..

On Edit:...I realize that many if not most on this forum actually use this B2 platform to "4 wheel like no 2marroOh" and I get that..I enjoy an outing as much as any off road..in fact i sold an new "08" Jeep JK " to drive one of these till i can't anymore so i get it..I DO have another one that i am modding..but I also like the idea of a restored complete example of what this vehicle was off the showroom floor..(with a few improvements)..so bear with me all...

thanks for your input."

I hope you don't mind the dup post....

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I've not only changed those locks but I've re-keyed them to work with whatver key I want them to.

But it's been five years since I junked my Bronco2 and it was about five years before that that I lask messed with the lock cylinders, so it may take some time to wake up those brain cells that store the info...

I seem to recall that there's one "gate tumbler" in the lock that doesn't actually engage the key (the rectangular hole in the middle of it is too large.

that tumbler is at the very top of the cylinder (closest to the key) and that tyyou have to work from the back to disengage it and release the cylinder from the latch.

John Smith

Reaction score
thanks 4 gettin back about this..

good info Allan, I knew there had to be some kind of catch to it. I'll see what i can accomplish now...

thanks man...Be well

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals