• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Squeeling / Squeaking from rear

frankmatthewj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone,

I recently (within last week) bought my first Ranger. It's a 1999, 3.0L V6 4WD. Today, after running without any obvious noises, the truck as developed a fairly loud and constant squeak from the rear that stops only when the truck is no longer moving. Engine RPM has no effect. Could this be the rear brake pads or might it be something else? Any comments on personal experience or suggestions are appreciated.

Matt

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What i've done is pull the rear tires off, pull off the drums, apply silicone to the backside of the shoes (where they contact the "back plate"). heck, for all you know, your drum could be rubbing too. OR...

One thing I noticed on my last ranger, was that my shroud on my gas tank was rubbing on my 98 ranger's drive shaft. dono how the hell that happened, but I used rtv to hold it to the tank. problem solved.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would inspect the driveshaft for shiny rings, then take the tires off and look for shiny spots inside the fender wells, as well as polished spots anywhere else.

Shiny polished spots come from rubbing, if the squeak is coming from the outside of the drive system.

Then put the rear axle on jackstands, put the transmission in P (if auto) or a high gear (if manual) and spin the tires by hand while listening for squeaks.

If it's inside the drive system, spinning the tires (one will go backwards, one forwards) will reveal the squeak if it's related to the axles, and help identify which side it's coming from. If you find it there, pull that tire and check the entire hub first, then bearings and axle shafts after that.

Finally, if you haven't found it yet, put the transmission in neutral, lift ONE rear tire off the ground, and spin it (again, by hand). It will probably take some force to do so, you'll be turning the driveshaft, transfer case, and transmission.

This will reveal that the squeak is in the driveline somewhere, and should allow you to pinpoint where. Likely suspects are: rubbing against the driveshaft, bearings on the driveshaft or at the transfer case or rear differential, or possibly inside the rear diff itself.

SAFETY NOTES: Do not apply power to the drivetrain with the vehicle up on jacks or jackstands. Do not apply power to the drivetrain with someone under the vehicle. Do not drive with someone under the vehicle. All the tests I described are to be done with the engine off, using only hand power.

Let us know what you find,
Spott

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Willing to bet it's your U-joints.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals