• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Squeaking Noise Inside Cab

JW20

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a 97 XLT long cab/bed that has developed the most horrendous sound inside the cab. It's coming from somewhere on the passenger side and I cannot reliably reproduce the sound, or determine where exactly it's coming from. It sounds like maybe it's coming from the passenger door, pillar, or glovebox area. I've removed the pillar, door panel, glove box, and done everything I can to figure out what the noise is. It sounds like two pieces of styrofoam or plastic rubbing together and it's loud. It's way more than just a rattle because even with music playing and the window down, I can still hear it over everything. I even took a rubber mallet and went around trying to see if I could recreate the sound; no luck.

Any ideas?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
HVAC blower fan rubbing. Next time you hear it... change blower speeds and see if the noise changes.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
/\ good answer.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
going to need some creativity
sit in the pass seat with a flexible hose of several feet length
one end in your ear, move the other around until it gets louder

and whatever uncle gump says

JW20

Reaction score
HVAC blower fan rubbing. Next time you hear it... change blower speeds and see if the noise changes.
I thought that was it for sure so that was the first thing I did. No change; it does it regardless of whether the fan is on or not. I also thought maybe it was the fresh air louver but it's not that either.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Do you have a four door supercab? Sometimes the latch bars wear and cause squeak issues.

JW20

Reaction score
Do you have a four door supercab? Sometimes the latch bars wear and cause squeak issues.
I wish. It's just the two-door version. I think I might have someone else drive the truck so I can sit in the passenger seat and figure out what the heck is making that sound. Just gotta find somebody that can drive standard.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Take a look around the door and the jamb for any rubbed/scraped paint. The hardest squeak to find is a broken spot weld. So, knowing how to recreate the squeak will sure make it easier.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Try taking the door panel off, my drivers side door makes a horrible noise at times when driving... I went to the extent of putting duct tape on the metal side of all the contact points, since the panels aren't really held securely with the what, 4 screws? they're somewhat wobbly... it got better when I replaced a broken screw section with a washer for more support...

JW20

Reaction score
Thanks for tall the suggestions everyone. I had someone drive the truck and I opened the passenger door when it started and it seemed to stop. I had the panel off previously trying to diagnose the issue and could not find the noise. Next step is to lube the door seals and check for spots where it might be rubbing. The passenger door rarely gets used and sometimes has to be yanked open, so I have a feeling that has something to do with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals