• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

squeaking noise in front end

buckshotz43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
ive noticed a squeaking in the wheel area of the front end getting louder the past couple months especially after using 4wd it gets worse. Talk to a guy at a local shop says its probably the u-joints. i replaced my rotors a little less than a year ago and new pads last month. is it most likely the u-joints like he said or something else and is it an easy fix? thanks

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My buddy had the same thing happen to him one time. His problem was actually the ball joint moving and got sand in it and always squeeked. We found that by putting the truck in the air and moving the entire front end around till we found the problem.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sound like rusty bedsprings?

i'll bet upper ball joints, reach in above your tire, find your upper control arm, grab the balljoint in your hand, and lift up on the fender, with the inside of your elbow, it should squeek while doing this, and you will feel it squeeking in your hand...

do yourself a favor, 1) buy the moog problem solver control arms, and 2) buy the other side at the same time

i replaced my passenger side one, as it was squeeking like hell, got the parts shipped up, payed for shipping and brokerage fees (a big hit on the first item, a dollar or 2 for ever item after) anyways, replaced the passenger side, and 2 days later, my drivers started squeeking! (still is)

they squeek for quite a while before they fail fyi, atleast in the cases i have had them squeeking

buckshotz43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
ill have to go out and check that sometime today. that does sound about right for where its squeaking ill double check and let you know. it will be soon cause that squeakin is driving me crazy!

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i have a squaeak in the front of mine also...it's nothing to do with wheels or tires or ball joints either!
and took me a while to find the noise but it was my cardain joint in the front driveshaft. i hose it down with WD40 or lubricating spray and it goes away for a day or two.

dont rule this out either

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a squaeak in the front of mine also...it's nothing to do with wheels or tires or ball joints either!
and took me a while to find the noise but it was my cardain joint in the front driveshaft. i hose it down with WD40 or lubricating spray and it goes away for a day or two.

dont rule this out either
you need to get a new u-joint into that shaft ASAP! especially seeing as any grease that WAS in there, is now gone with the wd40

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
it's the double cardain...there's NO grease in the ball part. the two joints aren't even touched.

ive taken it apart and rebuilt it two years ago when the noise was first diagnosed, and i do plan on getting anothger shaft, but only because it will be from Tom Woods and built stronger.

i gott ask, and im not attacking you but, have you had experience with the double cardain front driveshaft? the area in question is between where the two joints meet, and there is no greasing it. sure, you can but it gets muddy and all sorts because it's exposed. it squeaks because of the wear.

im just offering some advice and saying it is something to look at, and may be the cause of his squeaking like mine. mine sounds like a family of chipmunks when 4 wheel is engaged.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it's the double cardain...there's NO grease in the ball part. the two joints aren't even touched.

ive taken it apart and rebuilt it two years ago when the noise was first diagnosed, and i do plan on getting anothger shaft, but only because it will be from Tom Woods and built stronger.

i gott ask, and im not attacking you but, have you had experience with the double cardain front driveshaft? the area in question is between where the two joints meet, and there is no greasing it. sure, you can but it gets muddy and all sorts because it's exposed. it squeaks because of the wear.

im just offering some advice and saying it is something to look at, and may be the cause of his squeaking like mine. mine sounds like a family of chipmunks when 4 wheel is engaged.
totally worth looking at, no argument there, i think you misunderstood me, or i misunderstood you in the previous statement, i thought you were implying that it was your u-joints, in the DC joint that were squeeking, as a result, you sprayed it with wd40, to lubricate them, (while also removing more grease, the DC style joints, are 2 ujoints side by side, but they still have grease in them...

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
haha...probably miscommunications on both.
the ujoints are fine, and it's not worth a rebuild again for the Double Cardain when im replacing the whole shaft.

it's original from factory (95 ranger) and the second time it's squeaked.... but of course i am not kind to that front end either!:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals